Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

@Gio I think it depends on the person. I’m not that great of a hornist or accordionist, either, but throughout the years I’ve gotten better, of course. It feels so great to be thrown together with such nice people right ahead from the beginning, I already feel like home.

2 Likes

Welcome, @Neak! Man, at 14, you can do anything you want - so, awesome that you have an ambition and a vision to become a great bass player!

As was already said, a lot of people on this forum wished they had started playing bass at your age!

Regarding your questions - fire away! You are likely to get tons of help and advice :smile:

2 Likes

@joergkutter Wow, it really makes me glad that I get to met such nice and positive people here. It really pushes me a lot. I can’t do anything but thank you for being so nice. It’s just so great here, I’m glad I got to find this place. ^^

3 Likes

Gosh. I actually did, and here I’m on the other side of 50 and still an absolute beginner. If I could give you one piece of advice @Neak, it would be to stick with it. But you already have 2 instruments ‘under your belt’ so you’re not as likely to give it up. Welcome to the friendliest and most helpful bass forum, and an excellent course.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for the advice, @PeteP , I’ll think of it. Of course I don’t know if I wanna do it for a living, but hey, it’s definitely worth a try. I’m very happy I’m being greeted so warmly by everyone. ^^

2 Likes

Welcome aboard, @Neak . . . :slight_smile:

You’re off to a great start, and I’m sure you’ll enjoy your time here!

2 Likes

I don’t think many of us intends it as a career, or in any way professional, but as a hobby I don’t think music can be beat. I wish I’d learned when I was in my teens and kept it up - by now I’d be quite good - and I’m sure I’d have added instruments to my range.

You already know because you play an instrument (or two), but even the act of learning brings benefits in life. Once you’ve learned a complicated task other tasks become easier. Then again, you also speak at least two languages and that’s like a musical instrument. Do you read standard notation music?

Comment to everybody else here; isn’t it sickening to see a young person with so much talent? :wink: but also inspiring and gives hope for the following generations. And I thought @JoshFossgreen was young.

3 Likes

@Jazzbass19 thanks, I think so, as well. ^^

1 Like

Wow… Well, first, thank you for all your compliments and incentive, @PeteP . ^^"

Yes, I read notation music, and I also think that experience with any instrument helps you to learn another.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, and back to the course @Andreas!

And welcome Valentin @Neak!

2 Likes

Thanks Josh,
atm I’m working on Billie Jean and it’s the first time that I’m struggling a bit.

3 Likes

Don’t get too hung up on that one @Andreas, it is hard at that point in the course progression. It’s noted as being a temporary jump in difficulty - a good lesson to go back to after every couple of lessons. If you manage it at fast pace before moving on you’re doing very well.

2 Likes

I really hope you meant slow speed :grin:

3 Likes

That really is how it feels, isn’t it? I sort of managed medium - perhaps once.

2 Likes

I find it hard to activate the pinky in that one. But I won’t give up :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@Andreas - Don’t ever give up. Billie Jean is by far one of the hardest lessons that you will come across during this course, but once you make it through on just the ‘slow’ pace, you’re doing great! It took me a few days just to get through it myself, but once I finally figured out how to use my ring finger to assist my pinky in the roll over technique that @JoshFossgreen teaches, it sort of all came together.

Use your pinky on D-4 (D string 4th fret), but use your ring finger to ‘help push’ your pinky down while ‘rolling into’ the next position which is A-4 (A string 4th fret). You’ll find that the strength in your ring finger will help make up for the lack of strength in your pinky. Over time, you’ll begin noticing that your pinky will build strength on it’s own, but until then, gain confidence in your ability by allowing your stronger finger to assist…

3 Likes

Thank you for your advice, Lanny, much appreciated!

3 Likes

Hi I have been playing guitar since I was 12 not the best but I can follow just about anyone on rhythm guitar. I’ve always wanted to play bass and now I am on here trying to learn so far I am loving it. I am hoping I will get good enough to play in a band. I am a Director of a small animal shelter.

9 Likes

Welcome to the Forums, @lkh2859 :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

1 Like

Welcome @lkh2859

1 Like