Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

I’m here because I found a new Ibanez Gio bass by the side of the road three weeks ago with a “Free” sign taped to the headstock, and I took it home and started to learn to play. I found Josh’s videos on YouTube … Per his instructions I learned the C major scale and looked up favorite songs in C that I could play along to.

9 Likes

Was so excited yesterday when I heard Jimmy Ruffin’s “When I See Her” in the car, got home and learned it was in C, and played it all the way through.

7 Likes

Welcome aboard @Babs,
Enjoy the ride, nice pickup👍
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @Pontoon!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums @Babs

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @Never2Late! I have the Korg TM-60 and it’s a great tuner. As far as the CM-200 mic, I, personally, have never had the need for an external mic.
BTW, I got heavily into playing bass a few years ago, and I’m 65.
:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Welcome @Babs!

3 Likes

Welcome @Babs

3 Likes

Thanks for the welcome, and the input on the CM-200. I was leaning toward not getting it, so your comment adds to that decision.

3 Likes

Welcome, @Pontoon and @Never2Late! :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi everyone! As you would have guessed, because I am introducing myself, I am new here. I am in my 50’s, played drums early on in my life because I am drawn to the low end of the musical spectrum and I have good natural timing and rhythm. I have always wanted to play Bass. I have invested in all of the equipment and have joined a couple of online sites to start my journey to become a Bassist… that’s to say that I began following the lessons and quickly became lost in the “scattered” and “unstructured” approach being employed to teach. So I hung it up for a while until a friend of mine mentioned this course to me. I did a bit of research and next thing you know, here I am!

I am prior military; spent many years overseas, both in the Army and in my career. My work requires me to be away from home, thus making getting better at any hobby / interest difficult. With the Bass, I can do the same as many others and bring my instrument (or one dedicated for travel) with me, making learning and practicing much easier.

I am looking forward to learning to be a decent player on my Bass, not looking to become the next up-and-coming star… maybe gig a bit locally after I retire. That would be fun.

Glad to be here and look forward to learning and sharing with all of you!

15 Likes

Welcome aboard, @tonyrobichaux1 . . . :slight_smile:

We hope you enjoy your time here with us!

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Welcome @tonyrobichaux1 and thank you for your service.

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @tonyrobichaux1!

3 Likes

Thank you for your service! Fellow Vet here (Navy) so I hear ya. Just keep at it, playing a gig is a great experience and also a very achievable goal…one of those things that is scarier when you haven’t done it, but then when you do you realize it wasn’t as daunting as you thought it would be.

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @tonyrobichaux1,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Thanks for all the welcomes! @cole, @JerryP, @Mac, @PamPurrs
Here I thought I was getting a late start on this at 40, but I see many of you getting started even later! Very inspirational to see!
LOWlife

7 Likes

Thank you! :grin:

3 Likes

Honestly, it’s not bad. I did a setup on it (thanks, YouTube!) and did some minor fretwork because the frets were pretty sharp and of course replaced the strings. It’s not the best sounding thing in the world, but for now I’m certainly much more concerned with whether it a) makes sound and b) stays in tune (which it does).

For the price, it’s a lot better than some of the starter stuff I’ve seen out there. I probably should have just sprung for a Squire, but I had a hard time justifying the price of one not knowing if I’d stick with this (I didn’t know about this course at the time)

Instead, I saved that money and have started saving for the Fender Vintara 70s Jazz Bass. So, I really can’t complain!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Pontoon. B2B is just great! Right now I’m working on Billie Jean (oh dear! :sweat_smile:)

4 Likes