Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Well, using the Snark, I can get to the low end of the E but it’s not optimized (green). How will I know if it’s an octave too high?

4 Likes

spam spam spam spam…
spam spam spam spam…

3 Likes

This is with the old pickguard, which I now have to replace thanks to the pickups. The thing with the paint is that when you put it under light and move it around, it’ll change colors.

6 Likes

This is with the neck but not the pickguard. The pieces aren’t supposed to be here until next Tuesday, so I’ll end up missing next weekend to do more to it other than the tuning keys.

5 Likes

Very nice.

And yes, it sounds like you are tuning the string too high.
Just de tune until you get to the E again.

E strings don’t Hadley ever break, especially not tuning.

Its OK, mistakes are human, we are all human. LOL

5 Likes

I am guessing the Snark is trying to get you to tune it to E2 (82.4Hz), not E1. That’s what the E string on a regular guitar is.

6 Likes

Not to be pedantic, but the tuner isn’t “trying” to get you to tune to anything - it’s just telling you what you’re tuned to.

@athosmr2003 - if you tune the “A” string, then when you play the 5th fret of the “E” string, it should be the same note as the open A string. If the 5th fret of the E string is higher than the open A string, then you’re tuning it too high. The other clue is if the string breaks, you were tuning it too high. :slight_smile: There are also reference tuning notes that you can listen to, so you can hear what an open E should sound like. For example:

Good luck, and any questions, keep asking…

5 Likes

You might have been tuned to an octave higher

4 Likes

I got the same impression, I welcomed her/him but added a sarcastic remark.

6 Likes

I hit the ‘report’ button to alert Josh or whoever to sort her out.

6 Likes

Hello everyone,
Its an honor to be a part of the community here. Music has always been special to me, since childhood. I enjoy in its entirity, but when i got came about understanding music more than just its presentation, i really gravitated towards the backbone aka rhythm section. Learned drums for a while , while in college, but soon realized , that my true feelings were for the Thumper. Bass sure brings, soul to a song/tune. I am 35 yrs old, even though it has been an on and off affair with the bass, I truly started learning it, since past year. So far ,so good. Just struggle sometimes to manage, a good quality time on bass, between managing everyday life and responsibilities. At this age I thought I am quite late, to learn an instrument, but while going through this forum, has really made me belive, in the effort and passion, and not think of negatives.
Really hope to be more active on forums as well, will surely try to post some playings, and learn from y’ll good people.
Cheers from India.
Peace and Love.

13 Likes

Welcome @nilabhchoudhary!
Glad you are here…enjoy the bass journey, and check out the B2B course (if you have not already)!

7 Likes

Welcome @nilabhchoudhary !

4 Likes

Welcome.

If you can manage to pick it up for 15 minutes per day, it will pay off vs picking it up for 3 hours on one day on the weekend… It is still great to do those longer sessions once to twice per week, however many you can manage, but repetition of just a little every day is highly beneficial.

5 Likes

I agree even 5 minutes a day your brain gets reinforced…

4 Likes

Welcome @nilabhchoudhary

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @nilabhchoudhary ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

I’ve done the same octave too high thing @athosmr2003 with a brand new Fender Strat when I was in my teens. I actually took it back to the store and complained! Only to be totally embarrassed when the guy there pointed the error of my ways !
It’s all a learning curve

6 Likes

Welcome @nilabhchoudhary

4 Likes

Lol, thats funny, mostly cuz it was in your youth.
I can’t imagine an E string on a Bass breaking (I am sure they do, I just have not witnessed it).
That seems like it could be dangerous, if it hit you in the face, or the eye or something.

5 Likes