Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome to the community @APCMSE !

3 Likes

Welcome @APCMSE

4 Likes

Helloooo! I just started the B2B course last week. I’m learning bass mostly because I have a lot of theories about how brains work… (And because I have inspiring friends.)

I quit my job in software dev in 2019 to try my hand at freelance illustration, and then immediately got the idea that learning music would help me get better at painting. (Protip: Sitting down and actually painting makes you better at painting.)

It took me a year to decide on an instrument (My initial idea was a ukulele.) Then it took me a few months to buy an instrument. (Picking out the perfect bass was not difficult. It just had to be left-handed and visually appealing, and that’s a very limited selection when you’re as picky about appearances as I am. The tricky part was agreeing to spend a lot of money on non-painting gear.)

Then it took me another year to actually want to learn to play the instrument.

But it did not sit around unused in the meantime, I assure you! Every time I was frustrated with my paintings, I would grab the bass and make random noises on it. It helped! When I was recovering from a concussion and could not paint, I would also make noise on my bass. Also helped!!

10/10, would recommend making random noises over not owning an instrument at all.

I was happily going to continue using my bass as a stress-relief beep-boop noise-machine, but recently, all the musicians in my life conspired against me and began to exert pressure. Last week, one of them sat me down (against my will) with his (right-handed) bass and taught me to play some Beautiful People (upside down). (“Oh, Gabriel, honey, that’s backwards,” he said. I gripped the fret board with my right hand even tighter in reply.) That was neat! Marilyn Manson is a great weakness of mine.

He talked enthusiastically about learning music. I grumbled a lot about my painting schedule and how I don’t have time to learn a new skill from zero while I’m working hard to become the greatest illustrator in the world. And then I somehow experienced a lapse in judgment and promised to get good enough to jam with him before the end of the summer! WHaT??

Ergo… I scrambled to sign up for B2B.

Long story short, I’m pretty much in a Learn or Die pickle, and I’m so grateful that this course is super fun and I’m absolutely amazed that it appears to actually be inexorably plummeting towards helping me keep my promise. Wow!? This is fantastic. (And I’m happy to report that I have so far not dropped the ball on my painting schedule either.)

I’m going to try to poke around the forum more, but completing the actual lessons on schedule is my priority right now. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Welcome aboard, @razielim . . . :slight_smile:

Glad you’re enjoying the course!

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Funny, that same concept works for getting better at bass…

Welcome @razielim

7 Likes

Glad you are here @razielim
You are in the right place.
Btw, never stop making random noise no matter how good you get. You never know what you might find.

There is a thread here on all things left handed with a list of mfg’s and basses.

You are not alone in your quest.

8 Likes

Welcome to all. If you are new to the bass, be prepared to be broke a lot. You will spend some money.

8 Likes

Welcome aboard @razielim ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Welcome @razielim

4 Likes

This should be in Module 1

9 Likes

Welcome @razielim !

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

Bwahahahaha

2 Likes

Module 1 Lesson 2
Bass-buying excuses for your better 3/4.

Module 1 Lesson 3
How to select elderly relatives to sell in order to earn money for basses.

Module 1 Lesson 4
Kids… do they really need to eat and wear clothes?

10 Likes

Module 1 Lesson 5
How to get a box as big as you in the house with no one seeing.

11 Likes

Most welcome mate.

4 Likes

Hello everyone, I’m 62 and just beginning this course. I first tried learning bass back in the late 1970s with a cheap bass I bought from Sears. The first band that got me interested was SLADE. Fast forward to the present and I decided to give it a try again. I just bought a Yamaha TRBX174EW and along with this course, I’m taking classes in-person locally. I like almost all types of music but mostly listen to '60s - '70s classic rock & progressive.

18 Likes

Welcome @razielim ! Art & Music & Programming & Science are all related. Similar languages. Glad you picked up the bass and found B2B. Folks are lovely here. Use the forum for all your Qs and enjoy the journey! :guitar: :heartbeat: :rocket:

5 Likes

Welcome aboard, @KentFrazier . . . :slight_smile:

Good luck in the course!

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Welcome @KentFrazier

5 Likes