Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

@WillieBoyBass Welcome to the forum!

You can print it out from here…
Course Extras (bassbuzz.com)

If you scroll down a little bit, you can download just the progress tracker for three different schedules.

I’m real sorry for your loss. I hope you can find some solace in making some music.

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask. That’s what we’re all here for. :+1:

5 Likes

@WillieBoyBass I am so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how painful that must be.
Keep on playing music, it sooths the soul, and heals emotional wounds.
Hugs!

6 Likes

Welcome @WillieBoyBass

So sorry for your loss :pensive:

6 Likes

Welcome @WillieBoyBass !
My condolences on your loss.

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @WillieBoyBass ,
Sorry to hear about your loss,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m new here! Definitely excited to be here.

Bit of my backstory I guess… I’ve had my bass guitar for over 10 years. It was a Christmas gift from my parents and initially I was thrilled but I was also in the process of applying for university, etc… Long story short, I lost the enthusiasm within the 1st year. I tried looking for YouTube tutorials for bass but you try checking out YouTube in 2010 and find anything as useful and structured for anything other than the more common guitar. My family also started pressuring me to learn more and practice more even though I was very much a baby beginner (now just an adult beginner). At that point it became a chore and not a hobby I was passionate about so I gradually stopped playing it until it just collected dust and would only get wiped down so someone else could play it or try it out. It’s been one of my biggest regrets. I’ve always loved music and I would keep telling myself that one day I’d come back and pick up the bass.

Fast forward to last week and my toddler was playing with a little guitar toy. He looked like he was having fun. I was trying to keep him entertained so I dug around my closet and found my bass and practice amp. I looked up some YouTube beginner tutorials and found this community while I was trying to mess around and make some fun sounds for my toddler. But after a couple videos, I realized how much fun I was having and I wanted to keep going…so now I’m riding this wave of enthusiasm without pressure. BassBuzz is exactly what I was looking for all those years ago. Someone passionate about the bass, like Josh, who enjoys teaching others and is very honest about what to work on specifically for bass. I’ve been able to try some of the exercises and practice very basic techniques and already I feel so much more comfortable learning and practicing bass than I ever did back in 2010.

15 Likes

Glad you are here @bugsy, enjoy the ride, we all do!

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @bugsy !

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @bugsy ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Welcome @bugsy

5 Likes

Welcome @bugsy

4 Likes

My story. I took violin in elementary school back in the 80’s and picked up harmonica while I was active duty on submarines. At 50, I picked up Bass, why? I enjoy music but am not one for ripping off solos. I prefer to be in a support role, bringing the line you feel more than hear for most people. My biggest regret is not doing this sooner. I’m only a month in, practice is paying off but I have so far to go. I’m using Bassbuzz and Fender Play both and throwing in a few YouTube videos for good measure. YouTube for the things to avoid as a new bassist, and looking for Bass covers with tabs to give myself something to work towards. My fingers can’t keep up with my brain at this point, I know what I want to play but knowing what to do and getting my fingers to cooperate with it is a bit frustrating at times. It will come, I’ve only been at this a month and I can already see and hear improvement. Looking forward to the journey!

11 Likes

Welcome @NeedmoreBASS

4 Likes

Welcome @NeedmoreBASS

How is Fender Play? I don’t have any experience with it for all my Fenders

5 Likes

I like it, different from Beginner to Badass but I can see the similarities too. They both are building on strings and notes. I like the tabs that Fender play uses, each practice session video can be slowed down to 50%, 75%, and 100% much like the slow medium and fast that Josh uses but it also has the tabs for visual reference. Some of the things in BtB I’ve had to go back and look at fingering because I missed something the first 7 times I watched it where having the tab, I can focus on just the rhythm and hitting the notes, without also trying to remember if I’m supposed to be playing a quarter, half or whole note too. With time and practice I’m sure it will become easier. I do like the way Josh presents material a bit better, more information behind why or what without being overwhelmed by it. I got a screaming deal on the Fender Play app so I can’t complain either way. It’s fun, I’m really enjoying it and try hard to get at least a lesson a day or 5 minutes of practice. It’s paying off, I really wish I’d done this sooner!

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @NeedmoreBASS ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Hi, Just come out of retirement after sitting in a jam night last week. Got the buzz back and went out a bought a new American Standard Jazz.

Cheers
Gaz

10 Likes

Welcome @garyper

3 Likes

Welcome @garyper !

2 Likes

Welcome to BassBuzz!
You are not our first submariner. What kind of sub were you on?

5 Likes