Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Glad you are here @garyper

4 Likes

21 years on fast attacks

3 Likes

Welcome Gaz @garyper

4 Likes

Hello fellow ground shakers. I started playing upright in 4th grade, dragging a full 3/4 sized bass around in wintery Iowa. :laughing: Played a bit of bass guitar in HS jazz band and then barely played any after graduating, despite an undergrad in music education until some guys in my church needed a bassist. 10 years later I’m still playing and love it. I’ve come a long way on both upright and bass guitar and decided to fill the the gaps on my technique with bassbuzz. Thanks Josh for creating such a great bass program.

12 Likes

Welcome @Zuul

5 Likes

Welcome @Zuul

5 Likes

Glad you are here @Zuul

6 Likes

There is no Dana, only @Zuul ! Welcome to the community!

7 Likes

Welcome aboard @Zuul ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Hi all! I’m Bill. I tried acoustic and electric guitar, around '68 or so. I learned 7 chords, and learned that I was no lead player,so bought a $40 Tescoe 2 pickup solid body brand new, and within a year I was playing in bands. Then, sold all my hear, enough for all the members of a 3 piece band, to marry my first wife in '74. 15 years Later, my new wife and I were eating at a small restaurant bar. A two girl duo, with excellent vocal harmonies set up on stage, with acoustic and electric guitars, and an electric drummer.
We would go back there, each time they played the place.
Sometimes, they’d have friends sit in on bass. I’d watch, and say to my wife “I can play better than that guy.”
I kept saying that, until I went out and bought another bass and amp, and have been with them ever since.
We do light country, light rock, gospel and patriotic stuff.
I played rock with a pick as a kid, when I heard the girls, I knew this wouldnt work.
So, I switched from pick to thumb. Now I can double thumb fast cincupated stuff, without the sharp biting time of a pick.
Anyway, I’m self taught, know no formal technique or theory, but have been gigging almost half my life now.

I hope to hang out here with all of you, and maybe learn something along the way. Ive been reading some of the threads and posts here, and it just feels right!
Life really is a highway, and we’re all coming from, and going different places. We’re all at different levels, and some for different reasons.
I look forward to learning anything, but it probably wont be proper hand position, or theory. Been plying it all wrong way to long to quit now.

Thanks,
Bill

10 Likes

Welcome @Boomhowertx Bill!

3 Likes

Glad you are here @Boomhowertx

3 Likes

Hi I am Mike MacPherson. I started playing the bass about a year ago when the former bass player passed away. It didn’t take me long to realize I needed some help. For instance I had developed the bad habit of just playing notes with my index finger and really didn’t know the scales or have a clear understanding of the fret board. I also sing which places some limitations on my playing complicated licks. I just wanted to tell you that I appreciate your intuitive approach to learning the bass, and building success through baby steps. A bass player can usually tell when they are playing a good rhythm and hold the timing, because no one complains.
I enjoyed the course and would recommend it without reservation. Than you Josh.
By the way, I am 73 years old, and it is great to learn new things still

14 Likes

Welcome aboard, Mike @macpherson91 . . . :slight_smile:

Glad to have you with us and hope you enjoy your time here!

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Welcome @Boomhowertx

4 Likes

It’s always nice to see the youngsters joining the forum. Welcome @macpherson91

4 Likes

BTW James Jamerson and I’m sure a few other really great bass players played with their index finger. I don’t compare myself to any of those bassists, but I also play mostly with my index finger, and only use my middle finger when there’s a really fast riff and my index needs an assist. It’s how I roll…

6 Likes

Hello :wave:

Newbie here. I’m based in Stockholm, Sweden. Originally from Indonesia. I just realized I like bass more than I like a guitar. So I’m gonna play it more often.

/Seto

11 Likes

welcome @setoelkahfi

5 Likes