Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Glad you are here @macpherson91

4 Likes

Glad you are here @setoelkahfi

5 Likes

Welcome @Boomhowertx @macpherson91 and @setoelkahfi

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @Boomhowertx , @macpherson91 & @setoelkahfi !

4 Likes

Welcome @Boomhowertx !
Really cool story. What is the name of the band?

3 Likes

Foxwell. When I joined it was Sadona, and had been for years.
They found another band had the name, so after some discussion, it is a combination of their last names. Fox and Glidewell. I was pretty new, so I said fine by me.
My wife runs sound nowadays.
One girl wants to move to Utah in a year or two, so it may all end soon.
We were booked heavily last spring and summer when covid hit. My last gig,was March 7th last year.
We reluctantly played one Friday before last, and we have another toward the end of next month.
I’m in no hurry to get back out there.

2 Likes

So I guess I’ll leave some of my story.
In high-school I was in a band as the bassist. I was better than I am now but wasn’t all that great. My dad played bass in the 80s. He had bass equipment and I had made a friend in school that played guitar. They needed a bassist, so I picked up my dad’s and dove in. I had zero knowledge but was able to keep perfect time and was able to play with the drummer like we’ve been playing together for 50 years. That made me and my drummer the best pair in our town. But I never LEARNED the bass. I only learned how to make it look like I knew.
I’m 33 now and drive a tractor trailer. I’ve been trying to find things to occupy my off time and decided I wanted to finally LEARN to play the basses I love so much.
I did a lot of online searching for lessons, and this looked like the perfect one for me and my schedule. I bought an amp that would be good for on the truck and my first Fender jazz bass. I didn’t think my Dean Razorback or B.C.Rich Beast would be practical for the truck and my 1980s Charvel is great but very very heavy and needs a bit of wire work done. I’m hoping the lessons will get me to a point that I can play by myself and teach my 5 year old daughter something other than life and how to read the Bible.
I listen to Christian metal and I enjoy listening to good slap bass funk guys. It’s always interested me. My other hobbies aren’t very good for on the road trucking. Guns are illegal to have in the truck. Pocket knives have tiny screws that are easily lost. Watches are expensive and only worn and fishing requires time and bodies of water with fish. So all I have is bass.
I’m excited to start and do some reading here about how all of you guys are doing. If you’ve read this far, thanks for reading. Thanks to bassbuzz for the content and opportunity.
God bless

11 Likes

That’s quite a varied background, @He_is_Risen . . . :slight_smile:

Welcome aboard and hope you have a good time with us!

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Ya I guess it is. I don’t think I really thought about it before this post. Thanks for reading it.

3 Likes

Glad you are here @He_is_Risen

3 Likes

Thanks.
God bless

3 Likes

Welcome to all the new Forum members and new beginner Bass players.
You will discover quickly that you have made a very wise decision being here.
There is a lot of expertise on the Forum so if you have a question just ask and remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. We were all beginners at one time.

If you have not signed up for the Beginner To Badass course you are missing out big time.
There is no risk and a 100% money back guarantee for six months and I have never seen any beginner regret taking the course.

Welcome and all the best. :+1: :+1: :+1:

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @He_is_Risen ,
Enjoy the ride ,
If your into fishing ,you kinda got the right species anyways “BASS”:rofl::joy::rofl::joy:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Hello and nice to meet you all. Name is Jerry. I’m 55, retired and live in Denver. Like many of you, I’m brand new to learning bass. My interest in bass guitar really started more than 30 years ago or perhaps even longer as I’ve always enjoyed listening to a good bass line.

My musical interest began as a child. I started piano lessons in about 3rd grade and began playing saxophone in 5th grade and continued through high school. My senior year I played bass drum during football/marching season. But unfortunately after high school I lost all interest in playing music.

Sometime in the early 90’s I purchased a used bass in a pawn shop, but never really did much with it and can’t remember what happened to it.

Last summer I was laid off after dedicating 22 years with the company that will go unmentioned. I spent a few months looking for another job, but unfortunately due to the pandemic discovered no one wanted to hire someone in their mid 50’s (even with almost 30 years of IT experience). Anyway, I spent my first year of retirement doing DIY projects.

As I approached the anniversary of my first year of retirement, I decided I would celebrate it with a gift and challenge. The gift was a Fender bass and amp and the challenge would be to learn how to play it. I’ve spent the first month working through some of the Fender Play content (received 90 days free with purchase of the bass) and watching lots and lots of videos on YouTube. Most of the videos I’ve been watching are Josh’s Bass Buzz content. I finally decided to switch gears and purchase the Beginner to Badass program and on my second day with the program.

While much of the content I’ve watched (up to M1 L4) is all material I’m familiar with from the Fender program, I approaching it as if I knew nothing. This way I learn the proper techniques as Josh teaches them. I’m having fun and that’s what I believe is important.

I know…I’m long winded. I really don’t know where all this will lead me. Not sure if I see myself one day joining a band and I don’t really have any friends at the moment who play. But I would like to reach a point where I can jam to some of my favorite tunes/bands and just have fun.

Looking forward to actively participating here in the forums and Discord and learning/growing along with each of you.

11 Likes

Welcome @He_is_Risen

4 Likes

Welcome @jtaylor801

5 Likes

Ya lol. Bass are a blast. Tho I do like catfish lol

4 Likes