Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Y’ello All!
I’m Greg, the Newest member to the community, Like all the comments i’ve read so far, I was captured by the personality and integrity of Josh and his videos when i purchased my Epiphone Tobias Deluxe bass. After years of playing the drums in the basement, i’m trying to learn more about the most common complimentary instrument - The Bass. I wish everyone continued success, and to Josh and team, Thank you for the fantastic work!

14 Likes

Welcome aboard, @gwgm11 . . . :slight_smile:

Glad to have you with us, and hope you enjoy your time here!

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Welcome @gwgm11, nice to meet you!

6 Likes

Glad you are here @gwgm11

7 Likes

Welome @gwgm11

6 Likes

Hello @rockaholic555 and welcome to the BB course. Nice to meet you.

8 Likes

Hello @gwgm11 and welcome. Very nice to meet you.

7 Likes

Welcome aboard @gwgm11 ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Not all that familiar with that model, but I heard that Epiphone / Gibson did to the GRET Tobias basses what they usually do to other prestigious brands they acquire. keep the new, but crappy Gibson / Epiphone craftsmanship and development team on it. and ut them down to a cut rate bass.
Not saying that they did this with your model, and if you like it, are happy with it, and it inspires you to play, then it was a great purchase. That said, I have a Toby in my arsenal. it is a loaner by @Al1885 , cuz I told him I must, It was on my bucket list to at least play or own one bass with my name on the headstock.
I like it plenty, it is a fun bass to play, interesting neck, my only complains it’s that it sounds a bit thin for a true jazz, but swap out pick ups, possibly the pre-amp, an you got a great little instrument to play with. I am talking about he Epiphone Toby model, I think there are higher lines, that may be more ready to go out the box.

I always love to see somebody playing a ME

6 Likes

Mr. T - I got this on a fire sale and well, this is the URL from the store,

it’s very much entry level, but for a part time basement dweller like me, it’s the gift from Apollo. I have no doubt that manufacturers are good at taking a one off gem, and finding economical ways to mass producer slightly, (or not,) lesser quality versions of it, but thats the way the world is. Some day, when i can give some talent back to the instrument thats quality made and if i can afford a true gem, I’ll share, but until then, gotta turn up and tune in the chops.
Cheers Friend, hope your next gig goes off perfectly!

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @gwgm11 !

6 Likes

I have that bass sitting next to me, courtesy of the LONG loan from Al @Al1885
I like it very well. good price for a mod. the prep and pick ups sound a bit thin, but you can take care of that no problem, for not too much money either.

I hope you like the neck, it is the classic Tobias Asymetrical.

Neck
Species - Hard Maple
Profile - Tobias Asymmetrical
Truss Rod - Standard Adjustable

I find it quite comfortable. I am on a mission to sell off my 24 fret basses. I have 3 and all are listed on Offer Up. I plan to let fate decide, I will sell 2 and keep the third, use for when I want the upper register, those very few times that I do.

I really love each and every one of my 24 fret basses, but I find I play them less and less these days, and when I do play them, I am often playing down to the 7th instead of the 9th on them. A small feat to get used to playing them again, but it is something I noticed.

Besides, I need an overhaul so I can start getting some new ponies for the stable. All with money from sales (which should be at profit, unless any bass buzzers are interested in any of the basses I am selling)
Thats not for this thread however, so PM me if you want to know what I am listing for sale.

4 Likes

Sometimes the 24 fret bass is not so much about getting all the way up there but the the benefit of a comfortable position at 15-19 fret. It feels best for me on a 24 frets than 21 frets.

6 Likes

Yeah, I understand that, but coming from playing so many rocking tunes in the first position, bridging the gap to the 2nd position (1st being 1st 5 frets, 2nd being 6 thru 12, others would even tighten that into 3 sections) so when I quidckly move from playing riffs on the 0 thru 4 frets, and shift fast down to 7=8=9, I often end up right on 5-6-7.
Sure, sure its just something to get used to, but on the basses I play most, I don’t have to, so its just something I am considering.

Love playing this Toby bass. I am just hoping you forget about it, and I sell my other 3 24 fret basses and have it to practice transitions on. :rofl:

I will talk to you about the other basses I am selling, maybe something of interest to you, but we can talk more about when we start to discuss the cNC stuff in more depth.
When do you have time to do that?

5 Likes

I like the way you think Toby, we can definitely make a deal with that. When you got some time lets get start with the designs.

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

3 Likes

I got nothing but time, the ride part is a bit difficult right now, but not impossible.

2 Likes

Hi Josh! I’m Khairul, all the way from Singapore :singapore:. Thanks for sharing the awesome bass videos!!!

I played bass back in my teenage years playing Blink-182 at jamming studio. Never owned a bass before until now (20years later). Your bass videos is some of those bass players im subscribed to. I hope to evolve my bass playing and technique and make bass fun and not just monotone… where people are saying bass is boring!

13 Likes

Welcome aboard @jkhairulfitri ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

@jkhairulfitri Welcome to the BassBuzz forum!

5 Likes