Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Hello my name is **** (im not telling you that) and I loooovvvee math, im learning bass because I want to be in jazz band at my school.

5 Likes

Hey @Cowscout123, that’s great! Feel free to post any jazz-related questions that come up, I don’t cover much of that in the Beginner to Badass course since jazz theory requires a lot of foundation.

Twenty-some years ago, I bought a nice used Steinberger XL-2 on a whim. Short story shorter, it’s been living in a closet ever since. A couple of months ago I hauled it out, googled up Josh, and have worked my way through half the modules so far. It certainly doesn’t come naturally to me, but it’s a great help to have a good teacher. Thanks!

8 Likes

Glad you got it out of the closet! Basses don’t do anyone any good in there. :slight_smile: The world needs to see your headstock-less badassery. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hey Josh/Guys,

After owning a Warwick Tanglewood for a few years which just collected dust, my husband bought me an Ibanez for my 53rd birthday so here I am! Can anyone recommend a set of headphones for an Ashdown After Eight amp please? It has an output but I really don’t know if one size jack fits all and I really want to get started with my lessons.

Thanks in advance
Jane

5 Likes

I’m partial to Bose, but really, anything will work. Welcome aboard.

That amp looks like it has a ¼" headphone jack. That’s less common these days (most phones use 3.5 mm), but you can easily get an adapter if you need one. You’ll probably have more luck with over-ear headphones than earbud style; many won’t have the bass response you’ll need.

1 Like

Hey! Congrats on the Ibanez, is it one of the SR models? I like those basses.

Headphone choice is kinda independent of amp model, so they don’t necessarily need to “go with” your Ashdown. Like @jlundell said, a lot of headphones have the smaller jack on them so you may need an adapter, but that’s no big deal.

I don’t have a favorite headphone model… I normally use my AKGs but I don’t really like them for this purpose since they don’t have a satisfying bass response for fun/listening (they’re designed to be more neutral for mixing purposes). Basically any over-ear headphones that are in your budget and seem to get good reviews will probably be fine, IMO. You could get something that works fine for probably $50, or you could go crazy and spend multiple hundreds of $$$.

I ran across something you might be interested in. My go-to site for this kind of advice is The Wirecutter. Here’s the relevant item: The 8 Best Headphones Under $100 of 2023 | Reviews by Wirecutter

In particular, check out the Sony MDR-7506. Reasonable price at $80, flat response, long coiled cable that sounds ideal for this kind of application. And it comes with a ¼" adapter to boot. I think I’m interested myself.

Use another adapter to pipe Josh’s lessons or jam tracks to the Line In jack, and listen to both at once over the 'phones. There’s even a Mix control to balance the two sources. Slick.

4 Likes

Retired FAA air traffic controller here. Got my start in USAF. Spend large chunks of my winters in Vegas usually enjoying the milder weather and NL texas holdem scene. (Chicago poker is ok but weather sucks! lol). I’m up for that gig! lol

7 Likes

Hey
Thanks for the advice. I managed to pick up a Sony over earphone which plugs into my amp and as it has a deep bass button it sounds fine.

1 Like

Hey
I managed to pick up a pair of Sony over ear headphones for just over £25 (I’m in the UK) which seem to work fine. I just some kind of adapter so that I can plug into the Ipod to play over songs as I used to with the Warwick. My ex-husband was a guitarist in a band and set the whole thing up for me but now I want to be able to it all myself. Bought myself a digital tuner too which is great. The new bass is an SR500 - sweet!

3 Likes

Nice! Sounds like a good setup.

I have played guitar for many years (20), and made the transition over to bass a year or so ago- mainly because my fingers are more agile on the fretboard.

I have worked in the concert staging industry for years as a sound, lighting and rigging technician. I have had the opportunity to set up the rigging, sound, lighting and staging for some of the great bands- from Stones to Metallica to Nightwish to Fleetwood Mac, and more. Plus, I got to see the concerts for free.

I am now retired and am finding the time to get back playing the music I only watched for many years.

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum! That’s super cool you got to work all those amazing shows, I’m super jealous. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Everyone! My name here is Rocco; but I like the nickname of Rocky. I’m 51 years old and live in New Jersey outside NYC.
I played drums way back in my high school days, and recently got interested in learning the Bass. To say I’m a newbie is an understatement! I’m so green I make Kermit the frog look pale in comparison. Anyway I’m looking forward to learning the bass and hope to talk to you more in the forum.

-Rocky-

7 Likes

Lol! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Good to meet you Rocky! Not to be confused with Rocco (Prestia) -

1 Like

Our church band bass player went off to college. We’ve got a temporary guy doing it, but within a few months he will be gone too. So, my buddy tells me he would love for me to learn bass. Ok, so here I go. I just ordered a Cort Action PJ bass based upon the recommendations on this site. I will be signing up for the CD badass program on Friday when I get paid (unless we have no power due to this hurricane, then who knows?). I am 53 and I have NEVER played a guitar other than strumming one here and there. But, I learned how to play a clarinet by ear, so I am hoping I will be able to pick this up quickly. Six months to be a badass? Hey, that sounds perfect!!!

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Fleur-de-Lis! Good luck with the hurricane, hopefully it at least spares the bass players. Did you get the sparkly pink Cort or a different color? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I grabbed a black cherry color. Can’t wait to get it in hand!

1 Like