Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

HI Josh,

I just noticed that I never wrote my introduction.

I am 69 years old and a retired electronics technician. I started Bassbuzz about a year ago, and I am slightly more than halfway through the course. I am enjoying the lessons, so far, except for an initial scare early on. I was unable to position my left hand correctly and could not reach some of the frets. I discovered that I have (really, really) short fingers, and that trying to learn on a standard scale bass was physically beyond what I could do. I bought a short scale bass, which made things a lot easier. I thought that I would go through the course a bit faster, but life issues have slowed me down a few times.

6 Likes

Welcome to the shorty club! Benefits include ease of use and a much lighter gigbag!

3 Likes

wow that is amazing. I’m jealous :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

1 Like

So glad you figured out what was happening and found the short scale solution! Good to have another electronics guy in the mix here, I’m sure it’ll come in handy when a buffered bypass versus true bypass thread inevitably starts someday. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

My name is Glamma (short for Glamorous Grandma.) I decided to pick up an instrument when my kids left home and I started with the drums. Took lessons, found a band- most fun I ever had, then I moved. Decided it’s too difficult to lug drums around so decided a bass would be more “manageable.” Completed this course- LOVED IT. Now taking lessons from a private instructor and trying to find a band like my old one . . . You’re as young as you feel, and playing bass makes me feel young and vibrant and BAD A$$, for a Glamma.

12 Likes

Yep, my grandkids think I’m the coolest Grandad out of ALL Grandads. I Rock, apparently.

7 Likes

Hi everybody
I started with these lessons some 3 months ago, I think… I‘m a Little more than half way through. I got my first bass from my sisters and my parents to my 20th birthday. Now I‘m 53 :wink:
I always wanted to become a bass player, but because of life and all the stuff that had to be made during it (such as working, family :roll_eyes:) I never found regularily time to learn and advance. So as I am now in a better position, with my first two kids out of the house and the third one starting to play the drums (with 6 Years) , I really found the time to start my second bass-life. It certainly helped having Josh doing this great course. I van now do the lessons also in the Night. And don‘t have to wait for a private lesson to Happen. I love it!

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum and glad you’re finding time to rock the bass! :guitar:

MY name is Malakai and Im 52 and have been playing bass on and off for 30 years. More off then on. I have a huge collection of Bass guitars that Ive collected over 30 years. My favorite is my 66 Fender Jazz bass. I have all kinds… I even sent a jazz bass to Africa to a poor kid and you would laugh if you found out how much it cost me to keep my word… Im here to relearn the right way and im enjoying myself. im on here about 2 hours a day. cant wait to learn slap bass so i can use my Fender Marcus Miller Jazz Bass. I have 2 of them. One natural and one a tri color burst.

7 Likes

my 1966 fender P bass… plays amazingly

5 Likes

CAPS ARE STUCK ON… NOT YELLING. LOL…
IN ALL HONESTY… THIS IS WHAT HALF OF MY COLLECTION LOOKS LIKE. MY UNCLE WAS A COLLECTOR OF FENDER BASSES. THESE ARE NOT OURS BUT WE HAVE THAT MANY EASILY PLUS EVEN MORE OF OTHER TOP BRANDS, RICKENBACKER, STEINBERGER, WARWICKS,SPECTORS, ERNIE BALL BONGO & MUSICMAN STEALTHS, FODERA YINYANG, ETC… I COLLECT THEM AND RESELL THEM AT TIMES T BUY OTHER BASSES… ITS MY ADDICTION AND ITS GETTING OUT OF CONTROL… I BOUGHT 4 JUST THIS WEEK… LOL… SOME PEOPLE PUT THEIR MONEY IN THE BANK… I PUT MINE IN BASSES. LOL…

8 Likes

Holy crap dude! Amazing collection Malakai. Wish I had a pile of Fenders like that to choose from! Glad you’re enjoying the course and hope you dig the slap module (which is Module 13).

3 Likes

Using iPhone to play lessons, AirPlay via Apple TV, shows up on my 62 inch TV. Vox amp-plug, headphones, TV aux out jack into Vox. So I’m taking lesson with Josh, in my living room, after my wife’s gone to bed, and everything is pumped through my headphones. Josh, gotta say dude, on my 62 inches of glory HD TV, you are the most totally awesome teacher ever, living large right in my flipping living room!!! Thanks Josh, video and sound and technology, nailed it!

5 Likes

Holy cow. It’s the Fort Knox of basses.
It’s El Dorado, but for Fender basses.
It’s like what I dream about, but have to wake from, weeping.
It’s like my Christmas list.
It’s like… … I don’t even know what it’s like.
Pretty damn awesome.

4 Likes

That’s awesome @pat! Cool that you can run the TV feed right into the Vox unit, I never actually noticed the aux jack on there! Handy. Glad you’re enjoying the course. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, TV audio goes into Vox AmpPlug via 8 foot aux cable (8 feet so I can back away from the TV). So your audio (you speaking and playing) goes thru my Vox AmpPlug, along with my Bass sound, so everything is in my headphones. And Josh, I’m standing ~6 feet away from my 62" inch, jamming with you, I can see your fingers super clear in HD! Sometimes, instead of the watching the tab timing bar, I watch your hands, and it’s like you’re there in my Living Room! Weather’s nice here in Florida, so I hope you’re enjoying teleporting into my Living Room! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have no words. You should see my face.
A shriek of hysterical laughter? A smile? A grimace?
A missus who says I already got enough?
With the Drums, the guitars, the keyboards and stuff?
An implausible moan of anxiety?
I WANT MORE! I want them for ME!

4 Likes

Sounds great. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Everyone, I’m Adrian and I just went out and bought a beginner bass and amp two days ago (Yamaha TRBX174 EW in gorgeous ‘root beer’ and Fender rumble 25). I’ve always enjoyed a bass line but never thought I had any musical ability, decided at 56 to bite the bullet and get into it - up to lesson 3 on my B to B adventure and haven’t stopped smiling! During the day I work in mental health/ addictions here in Scotland.
Cheers.

6 Likes

Hello All,
My name is Placido. I’m 48 years old and work as an accountant in Florida. Never played a musical instrument before and actually never even listened to much music. Almost 2 years ago my now 12 year old son decides he wants to retire his baseball bat and become a drummer instead. Well, I put away my baseball glove and picked up a bass, so we could practice together. Started the Beginner to Badass course (my son loves the name by the way) about 6 months ago and absolutely love it! Just finished getting my butt kicked in the slap module. I was so happy to hear Josh say it takes years to learn slap bass as I was a little worried.
My favorite so far is probably learning the music theory part (scales, arpeggios, Nashville numbers, I think that is all considered music theory). It has opened my eyes to a whole different way of listening to and actually understanding music a little bit.

7 Likes