Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

I love hearing this! I love hearing that families are playing music together. Thanks for the introduction, welcome, and happy playing to you and your son!

2 Likes

Hey Adrian, welcome to the forum! Sounds like you’ve got some solid gear to get started with, glad you’re having fun. :slight_smile:

That’s so awesome! Welcome to the forum. :grin:

Hi, I am Paul. I used to play bass in high school in a band but did so with no training, thus I never really grew with it. I ended up quitting for decades. A few years back I picked up a Jay Turser Hofner violin bass knock off and messed around with it a bit. But this year, I decided to get serious about it, and the day after Christmas bought a Lakland DJ4. I decided to take lessons, did some research and found Josh’s B2BA course. It is awesome! Josh does an excellent job with teaching technique, patterns, music theory and of course the gratification of playing songs after each lesson! I am about 3/4 of the way thru the program, taking it a little slow lately as work is preoccupying a lot of my time. When I dive into the lessons, I like to take a few hours to really grasp the lesson. I am planning to retire in the next year or so and I really want to get into it! I love music, enjoy learning new songs and playing along with them. I want to get a band together and go deeper into the playing techniques, developing skills (as much as I can) music theory and reading music. So I’m looking forward to more lessons and “graduating” from the course and deep diving back into certain areas of the lessons. I am also really interested in the gear and instruments. So I’m looking forward to exchanging here and learning as much as I can! Glad to meet all of you!

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum Paul! I’m really happy you’re enjoying the course. :slight_smile: Those Lakland DJ4s look nice!

Hello everybody I am here also for the same reason to learn and playing bass. I play drums and wanted to find a community that I can share and learn from others and meeting others people that are in the situation I am or better, than for having me around. I really appreciated.

5 Likes

Thank you guys

2 Likes

Welcome Juan! Cool that you’re a drummer too. I dream of learning drums someday. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi!

My name is Francisco, from Southern Spain.

I love music but previous attempts to learn to play any instrument didn’t end up well :slight_smile: so I went to the other “side”, as a Studio/PA eng, though I gravitated towards systems/networking when Internet reached here in the nineties and never went back.

One of my daughters started studying composition and that I think (researching for gear etc) made my passion to resurface.

I think there’s only two kinds of music: the good (which I like), and the rest, I don’t make distinctions genre wise, though (Southern) Rock has a fixed place in my heart and the reason that I still wanted to learn to play.

I liked a lot your teaching ways Josh, and the vibe around Bassbuzz, liked a lot how Gio and Ben reviewed too!. So much I decided to give it a last try at learning, as even just taking the lessons will be a experience I’m willing to go through. The Bassbuzz community completes the circle! :smile:

Making my mind about the gear, the reviews were really helpful! Will post a question in the Gear section…

Being able to do covers/jam with friends will be a total accomplishment for me, being my long term goal. My short term: Billie Jean Lesson! (first LP I ever bought).

9 Likes

Love this! Welcome aboard.

1 Like

Really interested in this, do you recommend an specific book or site to learn about NVC?

2 Likes

hi my names Gary and I would like someone to tell me how to get back to the beginners lesson where I stopped the other day. I can’t seem how to do it
thx

1 Like

Hello, hello! I’m Claire… I bought my bass when I was in high school and spent some happy hours playing along (badly) to my Ramones tapes. Fast-forward twenty-five years (and a transatlantic move) and I finally figured that, after all that time and distance (and dusting), I should learn to play it properly. Having an absolute BLAST with the course. I knew I’d found a good place when I saw that “Don’t Stop Believin’” had three exclamation marks after it…

8 Likes

Hello :blush: I’m Dagmara. Very happy to be here. I’ve been trying to play bass (play is a big word for all the noises I was making) on my own while listening to Thundercat and Flea playing :sweat_smile::joy: but I guess I am not as talented as i thought… So I’ve done pretty good research looking for bass guitar lessons that will suit me and here I am… :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Wow, hi everybody!

@pukkita, hey Francisco! Glad you’re digging the vibe around here. And the last module of the course is all about dealing with different jam session scenarios, so you should be playing with your friends in no time. :slight_smile:

This is the main source material for NVC, as far as I know:

@dad2carey1976 Hey Gary! I replied to your comment just now, you should be able to just go to your course home page and hit the orange “Get Going” button.

@claireh Hi Claire! That’s awesome you used to play with Ramones tapes, the Ramones were some of the first songs I learned on bass (I Wanna Be Sedated in particular). Glad you’re having fun. :smile:

@v.dagmara Hello Dagmara! Yeah trying to jump into Thundercat right out of the gate sounds pretty hard, lol! That dude is off the hook. Hope you enjoy the course, and I’m always here to help!

3 Likes

Hi all, I’m Mark from the UK. I’m a retired accountant (at 53) now retraining to be a schoolteacher.(Science) Got a Squire bass and a Blackstar amp, a love of rock and no sense of rhythm ! Josh, help me please ! My Orgasmatron is helpless in the middle section ! Peace out !

6 Likes

Haha! Hi Mark! You might need Woody Allen to help you with the Orgasmatron, but your sense of rhythm we can definitely work on. I think you’ll be surprised how much better it gets just playing music and going through the course, plus we’ll work on it explicitly (not with the Orgasmatron) later in the course.

Hi Josh! I have been wanting to play bass for years. I have been playing the baritone ukelele while I enjoy that immensely , I finally decided to go forward with my true desire. When I saw your web site for lessons, I felt confident enough to go ahead and get my bass and get started. I am loving it so far! Im so happy! I want you to know that every time you giggle it makes me giggle too. You’re a great teacher! Thank you for doing this!
MJ

4 Likes

Hey MJ, glad you took the bass plunge! And that you’re enjoying the course. And that I’m not the only person who finds me funny. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here we go, Hi all!
I’m Trev 58 and last played for a few years some 40 years ago and then along came Uni, football (soccer) injuries to legs and hands so took up TKD where I met my better half

Work, moving to NZ from the UK and kids coming along always seemed to stop me picking up the bass again until my young lad wanted a guitar for his birthday and to learn…then I realized what I had let go, so I went out and bought myself an Ibanez SR300 (beaut) and a little ass-kicker of a Promethean practice amp

Spent time looking to take lessons but work seemed to get in the way and came across this purely by chance…so decided to take the bass journey from square one again…….hopefully

5 Likes

Epic journey to a lovely place. Welcome!