Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome Trev! Those SR300s are great, glad you’re back in the swing of playing. :slight_smile:

Hi Everyone,
New guy here. I am a drummer, have been playing since I was 8. Recently I have started to jam with an old friend. He plays his acoustic and I play my bongos and tambourine. Some of the tunes don’t really have or need bongos so I was curious about the bass. Well I went out and bought one.
I picked up a Mitchell MB200 and a Fender Rumble 25. I have been playing it for about a month. I have been having a blast with it and look forward to practicing all winter and hope to be decent by the spring.
I was browsing the web for tutorials and tabs and I found this site. I figured I would join and have some fun.
Cheers! VC

7 Likes

Sounds perfect. Welcome.
Playing bass with an intimate knowledge of drumming and what a drummer would want seems like it would be an amazing advantage!

3 Likes

Thanks for the welcome Gio.
I have read that/similar a few times. Had to actually sit and think about it as the bass is still new to me.
I have analyzed a few of my fav songs from both the drumming side and now the bass side and do see similarities and advantages to being a drummer.
Hope I can take advantage of this.
I was proud of my progress last weekend. Learned 3 songs in 2 days and when my friend brought his acoustic over he was impressed with what I had learned. I do have to look at the tabs here and there but I keep practicing and hope to have them down soon without looking.

2 Likes

That’s awesome! Now you’ll be able to play bass instead of this: :stuck_out_tongue:

That rocks! So cool you have someone to play with right out of the gate on a new instrument. Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome and that bongo vid was awesome. I def don’t do that.
Was a good laugh.
Yea it is cool to have someone to jam with. Much better than playing alone. He is busy a lot so I am looking for others to play with. Hope to hit a local open mic soon… maybe with the bongos and bass!

1 Like

Hi there, I’m Shels, a Brit from Chicago (grew up in the UK, lived in Chicago since 2007).

As with many on here, I’m starting bass in my late-40s. I’d wanted to start aged 12-13, as basslines were always the first thing I heard in any song - but my school music teacher told me, “girls don’t play bass”… So I got into art and other stuff, but never lost the nagging feeling I wanted to play…

Roll on 30+ years and I bought my first bass 2 years ago (Ibanez SR500), did about 2 weeks of beginner lessons via YouTube and played Rocksmith daily for about 3 months (got hooked but basically just learned ‘Every Breath You Take’, ‘Brass in Pocket’, and ‘Here Comes Your Man’ by rote playing every day - great fun but couldn’t transfer to much in the real world). I booked lessons with a terrific local teacher, but work travel got in the way - and the Ibanez has sat in the corner of my office looking great but taunting me.

I’ve now got two full months with a very flexible work schedule. I knew Josh’s reputation from YouTube and beyond, so as I’m heading back to the UK on Dec 8th and it’s currently Nov 4th, I thought I’d be ambitious and go for the 1 month schedule (v. nervous)…

Then in Jan when I get back to the US, I’ll prob redo the course and start weekly 1-2-1 lessons too.

Thanks for the inspiration Josh - and looking forward to catching up with you and everyone on here…!

Shels

6 Likes

Welcome Shels!
Who wants a teacher who said “girls don’t play bass”… too bad you listened… glad to see you finally followed your dream.
That’s a nice bass you have! Hope you can put those 2 months to good use and get on the bass path you are looking for.
Cheers and good luck to you!
VC

3 Likes

Oh no!!! That’s terrible! Wow. That person should be fired and publicly humiliated. And forced to be your roadie. :slight_smile:

Glad you’re proving your ex-“teacher” wrong and hope you enjoy the course! And I’m glad you’ve got a good bass to play, I like those SR basses.

6 Likes

And forced to listen to every track Carol Kaye played on just to start with…

6 Likes

Ha! That’s exactly what I thought when years later I realised just how prolific Carol Kaye was. Not to mention Tina Weymouth, Kim Deal, and the bassist who finally inspired me to head to Guitar Center in 2016 (after rewatching all her Bowie gigs) Gail Ann Dorsey…

Anyway, thanks for the welcome Muff, Josh & Vinny! I’ll stick a pick of my gear in the other forum string, as I’ve got a quick question/conundrum to ask advice on.

Cheers!

5 Likes

And more modern ladies of the bass - Esperanza Spalding and Tal Wilkenfeld… not to mention all the rad students I’ve had over the years who have been killer young-lady-bassists… both upright and electric.
Thanks for being another in a long line of girls playing bass and killing it.

5 Likes

Thought you may enjoy this, didn’t know where else to put it…

Also check the Mohini Dey and Steve Vai in Shillong vid. Oh my…

3 Likes

Even as an old bloke I must say your character and persona shine through on yr videos Josh. 'Twas yr sense of humour that brought me here.

2 Likes

Josh, I agree with Muff. I enjoy you humor!

1 Like

My name is Bob(nickname G-Bo) and I am actually a drummer/guitarist. I have joined a new Church and have been sitting in the last 2 months on drums. When I heard that our bass player left I jumped at the chance to learn bass guitar. I bought a 1988 Charvel 2B Bass to play on. I also have a 1987 Charvel 1A electric guitar. My drums of choice are Pearl Vision Custom Studio set with the maple Pearl Master Snare Drum and of course Zildjian Cymbals. I am also learning to play on “The Epiphone” Mandolin.
I am polishing up my skills on my mandolin because one of our guitarist plays banjo. We might be the only Blue Grass Christian Worship Service in the area.
My passions obviously include music, fishing with my elderly Dad, hanging out with family, camping, and going to Church. I am an Eagle Scout and a Fire Builder in the Tribe of Mic-o-say. I play music everyday and I am passing my passion for music onto to my Grandchildren. I bought my granddaughter a guitar for Christmas and free lesson from me. It will cost her a few hugs. Peace out.

9 Likes

Thanks @muff and @nicholas.richino! Nice to hear. :stuck_out_tongue:

@dbzildjian45, good to meet you Bob! That’s awesome you’re getting your granddaughter into playing guitar, families making music together is a beautiful thing.

Josh, I’m one of your biggest fans! To everyone just coming to Biginner to Badass , you made the right choice!

3 Likes

There are a lot of on-line beginner bass lessons out there and I have checked most of them out. The one thing about the Beginner to Badass course is that Josh makes bass playing fun. He understands that the beginner wants to get playing songs as quickly as possible. He does that by teaching the material along with riffs that support his lessons without dwelling too much on theory. I haven’t found anyone who does that. Thanks Josh!

5 Likes

Hello every body ! My name is Glen One N do to the fact my Whole is Glendon Allen Heidler . I am a old rocken roller from why back and turn to Blue Grass in 86 . I play the Guitar and the Mandolin , I did play Banjo till I was learning a song and realized that all the songs that I was playing at that time sounds the some . LOL so I put is down . I have 5 Children and can’t get either one of them to play , my youngest son did sing with me for a will . That went to the waste side . So I play at festivals and every Friday I play at a gospel jam and Saturday I play a jam that we play all gonders of music . any way that is who I am I am no professional player by far , but I don’t do to bad . Well I have to go GOD Bless and hope I hear from some one Have wonderful day .

7 Likes