Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

I also am know learning to play the Bass I have an old Aspen traded for an old Mandolin I had , any way I had taken the Bass and broke it down and put a new pick guard and pick up and controls . I shielded the cavity with tinfoil because it was humming to beat hell and it was not my rythum LOL . Sorry I did not mention this in my first reply GOD BLESS you all .

3 Likes

Hey Glen! Welcome to the forum from banjo-land. :slight_smile:

Hey what’s going on it Banjo land any thing new or good ?

Ha, I meant that you were coming from Banjoland, not that I was there. But this is what I found in my last sojourn there :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi Josh and everyone here! I’m new to playing any sort of instrument - i’m late to the game, too. 54 years old, but I’m having a blast with Josh’s lessons and I love it! I dream of playing in a band some day when i’m retired. Happy playing, everyone!

6 Likes

Hey @bassdreams, welcome to the forum! Glad you’re enjoying the course and you should be ready to jam with some folks by the end of it.

Hi All, I am yooperdave and played in Rock & Roll bands in the late 60s and early 70s. I haven’t touched a bass guitar for over 50 years and was recently asked to join others of our original band to perform for our 50th high school reunion. At first I thought the idea was crazy trying to coordinate with band members now living all of the country, but the more I thought about it the better the idea sounded. So, I bought a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass 77 and a Fender Rumble 25. Wish me luck getting my old brain and fingers to cooperate.

7 Likes

Hello! I’ve always been interested in learning how to play bass, but have never stepped up to the plate to try it before. I was heavily involved in band and orchestra in high school and have spent time playing tenor and baritone saxophone, but my main instrument was the tuba. I know, not as cool as bass guitar. It’s been about 30 years since I’ve played. My wife scored me a nice starter bass guitar last year. I put in a lot of time trying to teach myself to play and although I feel that I got the basics and most of the music theory came back, what I was lacking was trying to learn the proper technique. To me this just can’t be done from reading a book. In person lessons would be awesome, but tough to find the time for. This program seems to be just what I was looking for! Looking forward to the journey from beginner to hopefully badass!

4 Likes

Hey @yooperdave, that’s awesome that you’re getting back into playing! Hope the reunion is fun, let us know how it goes. :slight_smile:

Tuba is totally cool! I used to listen to the Mexican radio stations with my dad on the way to school and we were always slack-jawed at the crazy arpeggio fills those tuba players would do. Way cool.

Glad you’re getting back into music, and hope you get the technique help you’re looking for with the course! (I think you will :slight_smile:)

1 Like

I’ll step in, now that there’s hope I may not be the oldest one here! I’m a classically trained singer, but found I also loved singing classic rock and country. I’ve done backup vocals for Artists, and sang with bands doing 60s and 70s music, and worked with a group of singer/songwriters promoting literacy in lyric.
Then I lost my daughter to leukemia and couldn’t even listen to music for a very long time. This last year a drummer I used to work with asked if I’d like to do a couple of gigs with his band. It was scary, but amazing to perform and to feel so passionate about music again.
Sounds very dramatic, but my soul was crying out for music. As I started going back to the music I loved, the bass lines grabbed me. I bought a bass a week later, and I’m obsessed! For the last couple of months I’ve been teaching myself from bass method books and YouTube videos. Then I stumbled across your beginner video and was instantly hooked. Josh, you are such a talented and inspiring teacher. I think I can do this! Thank you so much!

11 Likes

Hey @mfoxes! Yeah, there’s a lot of competition for ‘oldest one here,’ maybe we’ll award trophies for that at some point. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sad to hear about your daughter, I can’t even fathom how that must have felt. Happy that music found its way back to you and that you’re loving the bass! I’m really happy to be able to help you learn. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yooperdave, Go get it! It sounds like a blast!

1 Like

A lot has happened since my first introduction letter! My bass family has been added to & reduced to where I am today. My pride & joy is a '84 Peavey Foundation with a natural finish; next would be a 70’s model Aria 5120 that looks & plays sweet!; then my Gretsch 2202 that just looks mean; next is a Squier VM Jaguar SS & last but not least is an Epiphone Thunderbird Classic-IV Pro that I swapped a 20th Anniversary Squier Jazz for today. For amplification I have a Fender Rumble 40 that is being upgraded to Rumble 500 when it gets here next week!

7 Likes

Nice collection!

Hi everyone! Nice to read the various path leading to play bass. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am in early 40, and had played bass for about 3 months, about 20 years ago. Then nothing due to numerous reasons, until last year when I decided to get back to it. I bought new gears and tried to learn on my own, but although my capability to play music quickly was a motivation, my technique was taking the wrong path and I finally hit a wall and had a need to go back to basics and here I am. I consider myself to be between beginner and intermediate player. This course is great because, it brings me recaps, but also new stuff and pace is good enough to unlearn things and relearn it the right way. I also play with a band every two weeks, and do have alot of fun doing it.

My musical style is broad, but I have preference in bands like Tool, Deftones or RHCP which heavily use bass in their melody, and harmony.

I am happy to join this course and hope there will be a sequel!! Ill definitely buy it.

Cheers

4 Likes

Hey Martin, welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you’re digging the Beginner to Badass course and cleaning up some old habits. And that you have a band to play with!

1 Like

Hey there! I’m a bit late doing this, as I joined in July of ‘18, but I never got around to introducing myself. I was too busy practicing! :wink:

My name is Jocelyn and I’ve played piano since I was 4 (even taught lessons professionally for several years after college), also played clarinet and alto sax throughout school. In recent years I learned to play ukulele and always wanted to learn bass…it just seemed like a lot of fun. Growing up, my dream job was to be in a rock band - so even though I never made that happen, I figured I could at least enjoy playing bass for fun with my friends! My husband decided to learn guitar last summer, so while he was at the store picking out a guitar I wandered around and ended up buying a bass! I told him we could learn our instruments together…that way he wouldn’t feel like he was really far behind me since I already play other instruments really well.

I searched for great online lessons…and searched…and searched…because I knew that going somewhere for lessons at a set time each week just wouldn’t work with my schedule. Eventually I found you! And man…I’m so glad I did! I LOVE that you really focus on technique along with theory. I also enjoy learning on real songs and playing along with real songs! My hubby has an online guitar lesson series that only does cheesy elevator music versions of songs, so his is really annoying to listen to. He’s totally jealous of my lessons and playing, tells everyone that I’m already rocking out a bunch of songs while he’s still learning the same three power chords on his guitar. LOL! I’m only on Module 7 at this point, been taking my time and finding other songs I can play as I go so that I can practice the things I’m learning even more. I’ve bought a Led Zeppelin book and am having some fun trying to play some of the songs - and LOVED that you also had a Led Zep song in one of the early lessons!

I just purchased my second bass. My first one was a nice Fender, but I found it to be really heavy after a while. That thing is a battle axe! My new bass is an Ibanez Premium, and is noticeably lighter. Both basses play really well, and sound a bit different, so I plan to keep both for different needs/variety.

Even as an experienced musician (on other instruments), I find your teaching style to be just right for my needs on bass! Not too simplistic, not overly complex…just right for any level. I can move through elements that I already know (like how to read notes on the staff), and then focus more time on elements I don’t know.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and thanks…I’m loving this course!

7 Likes

Hey Jocelyn, welcome to the forum! And good to hear all that stuff about your experience with the course as someone who already plays other instruments. Sorry your hubby is stuck with elevator music lol!

Just signed up and waiting for my Fender bass to arrive on a courier today.
Watched the intro video and it looks perfect for me. Can’t wait to get going after I finish at work!!
Btw are the BassBuzz T-shirt’s available to buy in the UK?

3 Likes