Is it worth buying a custom bass?

All Warwicks have both of those features, not just the customs, but even the entry level Rockbass line. All currently produced Warwicks have adjustable nuts, and also the Warwick Bridge that allows adjusting string spacing, saddle height, and also overall bridge height at each corner.

However if you want a 5-string, be aware that the string spacing will be more narrow than any 4-string you are currently used to. This is true for all 5-strings I have seen.

2 Likes

Yeah Warwick is interesting indeed. A lot of people say that the default neck of Warwick is quite chunky. What do you think? When I checked Warwick website, the custom shop has an option for u-shaped neck.

1 Like

I can see several Schecter basses in some shops in Australia. Will do more research on this brand. Thank you for the reference.

The necks are a bit chunky compared to Yamaha or Ibanez, yes.

If you are looking for a thin neck you want a thin C or D profile, not U. U is the chunkiest, usually.

1 Like

A Fender with a U would be chunky. ESP, not at all. Their thin U is quite nice. You need to try different brands, thatā€™s often more telling. An Ibanez neck has a certain feel, as does Schecter, ESP, etc.

This is an area where the spec doesnā€™t tell the whole story. IMO

3 Likes

If you are slapping then check out the American Deluxe dimensions the single pickup version is quite awesome. The pickup is not close enough to the bridge like MusicMan, itā€™s half way between the middle P pickup and jazz bridge pickup. You can still get plenty of great slapping tone and the finger tones still there as well.

The dimensions neck is truly something else, itā€™s slimmer and asymmetrical, buttery smooth, great price for a US made Fender for sure.

You can also get more aggressive MusicMan style attack on a P bass by changing pickup. I put a Delano on it with the big poles it sounds plenty aggressive.

5 Likes

Yeah for sure.

1 Like

I likeā€¦no love one or two trick pony bass. They are the way to go. Jack of all traits are not that great in general. Tone options good but thereā€™s no bass that great with everything especially when it comes to playing position and feel.

Certain types of bass should give you special feel and inspires you to throw down the licks. Iā€™m dreading the day that you can play 1 bass and sounds like every bass ever made via an app. They are already doing that through amp modeling, and Iā€™m not a fan. I understand that we are not living in that world of recording anymore now everything is compressed, quantized and digitized. It makes for pretty unrealistic sounds.

Getting back to the build, wider string spacing feels great while slapping and not as great finagle style, but many have come to love the wider p bass or better yet musicman nut width. It offers a welcome change from the now popular jazz neck. The same can be said about the neck profile. Shallow profile may feel great for a day or 2 but once you are back to the familiar thicker neck profiles you appreciate them more than you think.

May be because I have a few extra basses, I do like the variety that each offer and not expecting all of what I need on one bass. Just my 4 cents.

2 Likes

Having many different basses with different configuration like you is definitely ideal. Hahaha. Maybe I can use my case as a justification for buying lots of basses to my wife.

Just to clarify, are you saying that the sound from a bass with both split coil (p-bass) and stingray (humbucker) pickup is not as good if they are two separate basses?

2 Likes

I have the Mexican version of this bass and I was gonna offload it but when I trying slap on it I found it shined and different than the P and J basses.

You can get these and even the US version for very modest prices. I got mine for $500 CDN.

3 Likes

If your bass has both p pickup and mm pickup then it can sound like one or another or when blend it together. In this case it can sound like the 2 bass you wanted.

How about this example you can put the Delano MM hybrid at the bridge, it has the ability to become humbucker jazz pickup at the bridge, then put the Delano P in the middle and top it off with the jazz humbucker at the neck. Youā€™ll have 3 of Leo Fender iconic pickup designs in one.

Tonal wise you can sound like 3 different basses, it can be active or passive you can even select which one to be active or passive, you can have all in one tone control and eq, or all separate eq if it suits your OCD, but you can only feel like playing one bass because the physical aspect of the bass is fixed.

You can pick your favorite body but in the end your bass may sound like a jazz bass with the pickups configuration but it will not feel fast and nimble like a skinny jazz neck. If you pick the fast jazz neck youā€™ll miss out on the beefy wide spacing MM neck, happy medium you say, then we are right back at the one trick pony thick p bass neck set up. The major cost of the bass is not pickup configuration but the neck profile then the body. Not to mention the contour neck pocket or neck through models, the definitely feel different.

Body is body you say? Well my Steve Harris is a solid maple body compare to ash or alder on a typical p bass, this makes for a different experience playing altogether. If you are in a tone wood camp then it definitely a different sounding bass but merely playing the bass at different weight gives you different inspiration. Thereā€™s a reason why in the age of belly carved body contour everywhere, some MusicMan bass as well as Fender still offer slap body. Itā€™s like driving a stick shift vs automatic transmission. It gives you different feel.

Do you see my point? Like how we eat with our eyes, we also play with our eyes. Playing a classic looking bass like 70s reissued vs super ergonomic like Strandberg will inspire you differently if you have enough tools in your bag.

3 Likes

I am putting the Delano Jay Ray MM/J pickup in my LTD Surveyor 400; and a Delano Quad Coil in the mid position as a P pickup; or reverse P, not sure which is best. Either case, I think I like the tonal possibilities.

3 Likes

I think it is a factor. However just how much of a factor to my poorly trained musical ear is debatable. Pickups must count for the lions share of the tone.
tonewood

2 Likes

My bass instructor and I got into this convo. He totally believes the wood of the bass and the fretboard shape the tone. Maybe they do to his trained ears, I am not there yet.

4 Likes

I think it is definitely a factor. I would be really surprised if it were more than 10% or so though.

Lol. I have 50% hearing loss in one ear and tinnitus, Iā€™m just happy to be able to hear the bass :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agree. He used terms like ā€œjust a little bit warmer. Etc. But this is also a guy who mods nothing, doesnā€™t know how, doesnā€™t know gear. So of course a pickup swap would be huge but instead a tone wood swap might give him more of what he wants.

1 Like

Yeah. I know that they used a different preamp voicing on the TRBX604 (alder) than the 504 (mahogany) to compensate for the brighter tone from the wood, and that kind of lines up with my expectation there - itā€™s slightly brighter, enough to make a small difference, but really both of those basses sound pretty similar, active or passive.

Itā€™s one of the most important aspect for me, you see I use the body to play a crude version of marimba, lol.

When it comes to tone wood, it depends on the vintage, some are known to be corkedā€¦

2 Likes

For me, it was the finish. I wanted a bass with a nitro finish rather than the than the poly-something on my jazz, where they might as well have melted a bowling ball (and possibly my old Taco Bell uniform for the sunburst) and poured it on the wood.

1 Like