Is it worth buying a custom bass?

Are Sadowski’s known for especially for their pre-amps? Maybe I am thinking of some other brand, but for some reason or another, that name and pre-amp rings a bell.

1 Like

Yes, they are quite well known for having a great pre-amp. They don’t even sell passive passes to my knowledge. They also sell the pre-amps standalone (integrated or pedal form), so you can use them in other basses. Here is an interesting video featuring Roger Sadowsky. It is good to watch even if you aren’t considering a Sadowsky as it has interesting topics in it.

6 Likes

It’s hard to quantify a low frequency wave thumping through your body when playing. I got used to playing with my headphones and love the intimacy but feeding the signal through the amp takes on the different direction, and definitely puts different energy into the songs.

I remembered when I dragged out my amp and plugged in after months of headphones playing I flinched a few times because I was not used to the sound waves impact the outside my head. That’s why there are a few companies selling the buzzer pack you wear it on the body that simulates the low frequency impact on the body when you are playing on the headphones and/or low volume.

4 Likes

Well, I do also have 160W of studio monitor a few feet from my head.

But yeah, my condo situation makes a large bass amp untenable for the same reason. Those low frequency waves from big speakers carry well through floors and walls. Go hang outside a club and listen for a good demo :slight_smile:

2 Likes

True that!

2 Likes

Literally spit on my keyboard. That one took me by surprise. Well played, even for a lefty :wink:

1 Like