Is there such thing as a "beginner bass"

Yes it is, it was perfect on pictures (I had the 5 strings version). But for half the money I’ve got the vintera II Mustang and it is even more beautiful :rofl: …and sounds great for me.
And for the rest of the money ( this is the official version for my wife) I decided to go GASing and bought 2 more Bass guitars :sweat_smile::metal:

4 Likes

I like!

So - just to understand - you started in November 2023 and have 3 basses now???!

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

You need some math lessons, I have 4. The Ibanez is still Here​:sweat_smile::metal:

2 Likes

LOL! I kind of envy you! Especially for the Vintera II Mustang - a short scale, right?

Of course I would modify some stuff, BUT of course I am not allowed to purchase another bass…

2 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

This so sounds like something I would do. Fortunately my GAS lies elsewhere than bass right now lol. Great to have your perspective on buying “the bass” at a beginner stage. I think being disappointed in these kind of purchases can be the norm not the exception though, in my experience with things other than bass. Hope living with it for a while might temper that initial “what did I do” moment eventually. It looks like a great instrument.

3 Likes

It depends on the beginner. Age and physical abilities count. IMHO you want the bass to be as comfortable and easy to play as possible. Those who’ve played guitar before may be most comfortable with a short scale to start.

For some I might suggest a short scale and others not. But in either case initially I’d suggest thinner gauge round core round wound strings and assure the bass is well set up with action on the lower side for ease of fingering.

Bass can be physically demanding so I’d want to minimize their discomfort as much as possible. So weight and the reach needed to cover four frets comes into play. The more I can eliminate any distractions or physical struggles with the instrument the easier it will be for them to concentrate on just playing.

4 Likes

For other things: bicycles, this procedure was right. I used to change, buy, upgrade bikes every month until I started to get unhappy and depressed and decided to sell almost all and buy a bike I really want, but I don’t buy because I thought maybe it’s not worth such a high amount of money. I bought my dream bike and it didn’t disappoint me. Since than, over a year now, I stopped thinking or searching for new bikes or even look at them plopping in my insta.

It must be getting older, but now I’m happier with less things that I really love to have, than a lot of things I really want to buy but cause me depression when I get them😅

4 Likes