It's about to get cold

Don’t know if anyone has ever been to southeast Texas before but the weather here is all over the place. Apparently things are about to get cold enough for snow and I’m wondering where my bass should be kept to keep the colder temperatures from negatively affecting it. Thought about keeping it in the bag but idk lol since December temperatures have varied from the mid forties to the low seventies Farenheit. In a few days the low will be an insane 27° so what might I do/ what might happen to the neck and stuff?

1 Like

Where at in Southeast Texas??

1 Like

Houston, and yeah it doesn’t happen very often.

I’d be more worried about the dry air than the temp, assuming you will have the heat on in your house. I’m in NH and we go through the normal seasonal swings of 90s in summer and it will be below zero here when you are in the 20s. I think more about the forced hot air system than the temp. It why they say up here you have to adjust your setup at least twice a year because of the changes.

2 Likes

Yeah the heaters will definitely kick in (it’s my understanding that they’re automatic). Can’t say much about dryness but my room is right next to the attic so it’s either the most hot or most cold in my room.

1 Like

And I wouldn’t even say hot…more like “musty” if that makes sense

1 Like

Did several years down on the Brownsville area in the late 90’s… Your biggest culprit down there in South Texas is the humidity… Plays havoc on all instruments… I’m here in Middle Georgia (Macon Area) and we have both high humidity and winter night time lows in the upper 20’s at times. You’ll be fine…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

2 Likes

I’ll keep that in mind, thanks! Humidity is pretty nasty around here tsk

1 Like

Yeah, like Lanny said, the humidity is a biggie. What you’ll find is the neck geometry changes with the seasons and you’ll need to do periodic setups. One reason I think it’s a critical skill for everyone to learn to do themselves.

I need adjust my truss rods every couple months or so. I live in a climate that varies from hot tropical hell in the summer to skin-cracking dry and freezing in the winter.

1 Like

Yikes that sounds a lot like happens down here or at least these past few months

1 Like

@Jbassist284
It was a crisp -19 Celsius (that’s -2 Fahrenheit in old money) this morning as I dug the truck out to go to work in Rossland, BC.
Humidity is the real problem with acoustic instruments because as you heat the house it affects the thin wood way more than a solid bodied instrument. So electric bass really only needs a truss rod adjustment. Not much else.
Best part of the year here is January. They close off the steepest street and then race home made toboggans down it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the info!

1 Like