Jamerson Improv Critique

Hello! I wanted to practice writing and sight reading based on the Module 15 Lesson 5 chord progression of C-Em-F-Dm/G. I spent no more than 10 minutes writing this as I wanted an accurate display of the current level of my abilities; I focused on melody, chromatic runs, and open strings. The transcription took closer to 30 minutes. Attached is the transcription and the link is to a direct recording I played of the piece. I’m still getting used to recording, but any critiques or advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Vocaroo | Upload audio file

3 Likes

Sounds good!

3 Likes

Sounds good but how come Bar One has 3-1/2 beats and bar Two has 4-1/2 beats in the transcription? :thinking:

1 Like

Hey, you’re right! Thanks. I wrote C A C B A# F# E. It should be C A C B A# E F# F
Thank you for the feedback, it’s all helping me out!
edit: after looking it over the first bar was me not being good at transcribing, and the second bar should not be a dotted quarter.

3 Likes

Some suggestions others have made: accidentals in the wrong place and getting a notebook with staves already printed to avoid my sloppiness

1 Like

Missed that triplet in the 4th bar so there are only 3-1/2 notes there also :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Haha the more I look at it the worse it gets, but hey sometimes you gotta jump in deep. I appreciate your help

3 Likes

I don’t know how much musical background you have but will say to not become frustrated. It will all come in time. The main thing if you are a beginner is practice, practice, and more practice.

1 Like