Jim Lill videos - everything you've ever read about tone is probably BS

Wow - what’s that from? Assuming 136BPM like Long Way To the Top and that’s 31.8 seconds. - unscientifically about 12% of the entire length of an average pop/rock song ~4:15ish.

As if tonewood even matters :smiling_imp:

Stone Sour - Song#3 - Ultimate Guitar official tab :smile:

Feels like about 25 minutes :rofl:

For Song #3

• Beats-per-minute: 157 BPM
  • Beats-per-second: 2.6167 Hz
  • Length of 1 beat: 0.3822 second = 382 msec
  • Length of 1 bar (4 beats): 1.5287 second

Sooooo: 27.5 seconds. That’s an eternity! Good news is you can just hold your left hand in place and have plenty of time to get a sip of beer before you need to do anything else. :beers:

:smile: True that! Seems way overkill, still up there as one of my favourite bass lines to play though :slightly_smiling_face:

Not trolling
Disagreeing with why those three amps don’t sound the same to most people.
It’s the equivalent of saying a Prius, 911, and a McLaren perform the same because when you go full throttle off a cliff, they all hit the valley at the same time.
If I’m a troll because I disagree, I guess that means you have little tolerance for those with a different opinion.
But that’s ok, it just means that you’re ‘typical’.

1 Like

My father designed a transistorized Hi-Fi amplifier in 1958 and also was of the mind that it was equal to or superior to a tube amp. Now, for linear delivery, I’m sure it was more than adequate for Hi-Fi. Keep in mind he was analysing the signal with an O-Scope that had a tube power supply!
Now, in the real world, guitar speakers are not linear like Hi-Fi speakers, nor are the amps expected to be if you’re looking for breakup, which you are.
Buddy has a top of the line Quilter. Does it sound good? Yes, it does. Does it achieve the same sound you get from tubes? No
Best way to learn this is do the same experiment in your own living room.

1 Like

@KenMiller - if you’d like to discuss the Jim Lill videos after watching them, please PM me.

1 Like

PM sent:
Hey, if all these amps sound the same, why do all the digital ones have so many cabinet/amp selections?

1 Like

wow this pedal looks great

2 Likes

Agree

1 Like

@K_Miller Disagreement is not trolling. Continuing to hammer a topic without reviewing the material the topic is refferencing is ceetainly getting into troll territory.

I don’t believe you were intending to troll when this started. I choose to believe it is a topic you are passionate about and it got the best of you.

One of the things your missing, that is covered in the videos, is that Jim recognizes the importance of speakers and cabinet design. But that is seperate from his amplifier testing.

1 Like

Cool huh?
It’s meant to create .wav(?) files, but I’m thinking that you could use it for headphones, plaing through a keyboard amp, etc.

Good 20min demo

If Ken misrepresented what was presented, then that’s good info.

I’m not interested in a video as he described. My time is better spent watching videos such as THIS

Ken is free to agree to disagee any time he wants, isn’t he?

You’d enjoy this much more…
Check out that harmonic!

Questionable use of a kazoo from a gig bag here! :laughing: Also proof of how good Joe Dart is - dude can make a kazoo solo sound funky!

2 Likes

This is crazy. Would be interesting to see waveforms for the two different guitars, but its hard to hear any difference. Its actually shocking how alike they sound, using basically just a measuring tape!

2 Likes

@simonpwood right? It’s just really interesting! And I’ll find my other post to re-iterate below… but it’s easy to make things sound different - changing variable X and having it sound the same is powerful evidence that variable X didn’t matter that much to the sound.

1 Like

Hey y’all, reminder from the forum guidelines:

Don’t Be a Jerk

Respect each other. Don’t harass or grief anyone.

Hopefully that’s enough of a reminder for everybody. Let’s keep this forum ‘the friendliest bass forum online’ and be mindful of how we use tone when writing here. Tone doesn’t just matter with gear, matters with words too. :heart:

16 Likes