Lanny, where are you?

@Lanny I’m an Army Vet and really struggle with both Memorial and Veterans’ days. Having someone that understands your pain can sure make things a little easier. My wife will often tell me I need to go to the basement (my sanctuary) because she sees “the change” coming over me before I’m able to recognize it.

I echo what @bassfacedisgraces said about therapy. I did some high intensive therapy which was agonizing, but greatly reduced my PTSD symptoms - especially the nightmares. As loving and supportive as my wife is, I’m not sure we would still be together if I hadn’t gotten help.

Happy to lend a sympathetic ear if you need one brother!

7 Likes

I cannot begin to imagine what you guys are going through and can only thank you both and all vets for your service.
I do suffer from major PTSD issues on top of other mental health problems and totally agree with seeking help. It’s a damn step and a half to do as a “man” especially guys like you that have gone through so much.
I have nothing but thanks, admiration and stuff that cannot be put into words for all service personnel. I hope you get all the support and help you deserve

6 Likes

Oh and of course the partners, children, family and friends who support our veterans through these difficult times deserve so much praise too.

6 Likes

@Lanny Lanny, It was good to speak with you through text the other day. I all too well what it is like for these certain months out of the year. You know my story we have talked about it before. All I can say is man I am here for you if you ever need to talk you have my number. After 10 years in the Army and seven years in combat I have to disconnect frequently to refocus myself. I couldn’t imagine the life of a submariner ( a lot of respect from me) all I know is front line fighting and airborne operations. Thanks for the support brother

7 Likes

People on this forum are the GREATEST!! I appreciate all of your comments and feedback. Thanks @BassFaceDisgrace, @JDDaniel, @biohazz65, @Mac, and my brother (BIC) @LesterH. I have undergone numerous therapy sessions - both through VA and private sector - trust me, I’m way better than I was years ago, and at the ripe young age of 68, I figure I’ve still got a bunch of good years ahead.

I’ve learned what it takes for me to deal with my “Junk”, and in going back over some of the threads (this one in particular) @PamPurrs - Pam, who is also a Vietnam/Cold War Vet made a comment on another thread when she realized that I went totally invisible and went so far as changing my user name… Her comment was something like, “That makes sense, just so he’s alright”… or something like that… She understands…

We’ve all been through some shit - some worse than others, but the bottom line is that we all (even those who have never served) have ONE THING IN COMMON… Our LOVE for music, and our LOVE for playing BASS!! THIS one instrument (and I’ve played several), is by far the GREATEST instrument ever!! Those LOW frequencies speak a special language that can only be understood by those of us who create them, yet they are some of the most important frequencies in the overall creation of musical compositions… God… I LOVE playing Bass!!

Oh, for those who may not have known, the one person from this forum who was always there no matter what was @TNKA36 - Brian Little… Sixteen hours difference in time zones… He was always there… Congratulations on your recent promotion to Senior Manager bro… You got what it takes!!

Keep on Thumpin"!
Lanny

11 Likes

@Lanny Lanny you are an inspiration my friend!

6 Likes

Hi Lester, @LesterH,
Agree 110 percent, could not have said it any better :+1::sunglasses:
Hope you are all feeling better👍 and getting back to normal.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Right on @Lanny! Everyone on the site is so supportive and friendly, and you are an inspiration to all of us. I wish there was some way we could all get together for a big party/jam session, but I guess being a global group, it will never be.

And hell yes, the Bass is by far the greatest instrument - and my favorite. I was recently listening to some classic rock and old school country (two of my favorite genres - as that’s what my parents listened to, so I grew up listening to) and I was taken by a thought. Now that I have 7 months of B2B experience and a ton more knowledge, I know why I always liked the music…I freakin’ love the grooves those bassists were laying down!!

On the emotional and personal front, I encourage everyone to take care and stay safe. We all have our demons, but we got this!! I will leave everyone with one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite singer/song-writers/guitar pickers. If you guys don’t know him, check him out…

“The Days That I Keep My Gratitude Higher Than My Expectations, I Have Really Good Days!” – Ray Wylie Hubbard

Take care and Happy Holidays!!

JD

PS - I may be a little AWOL for a few weeks if you guys don’t see me post. Wife and I are packing for the move BACK TO TEXAS this month!!! We’ve been gone for six years chasing the dollar, but with aging parents and new grandchildren, we gotta get back. Fortunately, my boss/company realizes that since I have worked remote for the last 9 months from NY, I ought to be able to work remote from anywhere, so I convinced them to let me move back to my home state of Texas. :grinning:

8 Likes

Very cool quote.
Good luck with the move home :+1:

4 Likes