Left hand injury

Yep…think I’m gripping/fretting to hard. Thanks for the video!

2 Likes

Good you have a hypothesis to test. Like others have eluded to, if you are using a strap, you won’t need to hold the neck as much as it supports itself then. Not sure if you are already using a strap though. I always play with one and make it so the bass is in the same position whether I’m standing or sitting.

1 Like

Yeah I agree with the strap. I have adjusted the height of my strap/bass a little higher. Thinking this will help relieve some tension.

2 Likes

After watching the video my eft thumb is way to far over towards my pinking. By moving my thumb over towards y index could be a game changer. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Thanks @akos I’ll re-post there!

1 Like

I was having some pain in my fretting hand when I first started playing. I couldn’t figure it out either… thought that it was something that I needed to get used to. Then I discovered that it was my technique. I was holding the instrument all wrong and that was causing me to contort my arm and wrist. I have since learned to shift the bass more towards my side and let my fretting hand just hang, and voila’, no more wrist pain.

3 Likes

Where did you purchase this strap? I’m not finding it on Amazon.

I got mine from Thomann

2 Likes

I am really curious about the rehabilitation process in case of an injury. My fretting hand is a cute puzzle atm. bolted together by the number of bolts that would give the space shuttle run for its money. The doctor said that I had good fractures and I should be able to use the hand like before if I decide to live with a metal detector beeping because of some metal for life in my elbow. But 8 months without using the hand will be like starting over again on bass. Looks like a challenge to beat!

4 Likes

You are in my thoughts for a speedy and successful recovery and return to playing the bass.

1 Like

You can do it!

I broke my pinky on my right hand 12 years ago. It was a bad break (mallet finger) and I had external pins and cast put in for 10 weeks. Doctor said I may need the pinky fused (or amputated) but it healed. I lost complete use of the hand. My pinky is still crooked t’ill this day and it took a while to regain usage of the hand, but it’s doable.

If the doctor is saying you will regain full usage, then I encourage you to put in the work and do it!

3 Likes

Once you get to that stage, make sure you seek out a good physiotherapist to help you with the recovery process. There’s tons of hand exercises that can make a big impact on your recovery, and having someone around who knows what to do and when is very important.

4 Likes

Thanks! The only thing is that I really miss the bass. :smiley: I have to have some kind of music expression no matter what. Luckily as soon as I switch on my table, everything that goes through speakers is recorded, so I have a couple of hours of various jams and ideas recorded. (Stream Mending by Prestor Allen | Listen online for free on SoundCloud) The issue is quality, track separation etc. but I will probably create some kind of “One Handed Bandit” album. Heavily edited LP. As I have a lot of time now. Something like, 90s RZA style. (A mention for hip hop connoisseurs, hello Pam :smiley: ) Luckily my right hand, as a right handed, is a OK. So I will be around with some music. :slight_smile:

1 Like