Let's talk about Apps baby

I downloaded the app and it works great! I tried a song that I know all the chords and it was pretty accurate. Thanks for the suggestion @DaveT.

2 Likes

It needs a file to scan and think about for a little bit. It doesnā€™t handle streaming services. You would have to google how to deviously capture a YouTube video and then strip the audio track off for this to work in that case.

2 Likes

[on iOS] I came across some apps published by Hal Leonard last night. I picked up one called ā€œBass Fitnessā€, which is an app version of a book from the 90ā€™s of the same name.

The 200 exercises are designed to help increase your speed, improve your dexterity, develop accuracy and promote finger independence.

The app certainly isnā€™t going to win any awards for prettiest interface, but itā€™s got a metronome + audio play along (Bass notes). I feel like itā€™s a good ā€œI have my bass out, and every third walk by I am looking to practice something useful without much thinking for 15 minutesā€

2 Likes

Available for Android as well.

2 Likes

I use JamTracks on my iPad plugged into an amp or into my stereo. Itā€™s free, and has a decent selection of music. The downside is youā€™ll pay $1.99 per song. The plus side is that the songs are multi tracked so you can isolate bass on or off to learn the song or play along. Also, change speed if you want.

Lots of reviews have complained about the lag In loading from the servers, and the overall bugginess of the App, but I havenā€™t experienced either. Iā€™d give it 4 stars. I think your first track is free.

I stumbled onto JamTracks via installing JamKazam on my Mac. This is a free program that really lets you play ā€œliveā€ with other musicians on the internet. Much better than Skype or Zoom for live playing. Latency can be a problem but my last few sessions have been very tolerable.

Iā€™m in Colorado playing with guitarists in BC, Canada, California, Colorado, and even France with latency in the 55ms range. You will need a compatible DAI, headphones, a mic, and some patience on the setup but well worth it if you donā€™t have a local resource to play out. All genres, and folks are playing all times of the day/night. Lots of open sessions.

The folks at JamKazam are actively working to update software, fix bugs, and improve the playability. Since Covid, this service has exploded in terms of use. I highly recommend it. Thereā€™s a couple groups on Facebook, and a Forum to help out troubleshooting. If you want some help setting up you can PM me.

OH, forgot. Wired Ethernet connection is key as well. WiFi adds too much jitter and latency. Plug your computer into modem or router.

You can use your JamTracks in JK too.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just downloaded this app and signed up so Iā€™ll see how it goes.
Itā€™s seems to take awhile to load the songs but maybe thatā€™s my internet.
Thanks for the info and Iā€™ll let you know how I go.
God bless

1 Like

I think the servers are in Texas, so it might be a little slow based off recent demand, and distance. Usually, I load a track and play it thru a couple times and then move to the next track in my set list.

Itā€™s the closest thing I have to playing in a band these days, and I think itā€™s super fun. I hope you enjoy it.

1 Like