Lets Talk “Motown”! Who Has The Bug?

I may have to put it off until next decade…

6 Likes

Thanks @joeike!! Gonna have to check that one out…

4 Likes

“Slick as butter” response @PamPurrs​:wink:. That said, we just might have to start referring to you as “Butter,… the Bad Ass Bass Gal”:joy::rofl::wink:

5 Likes

There’s a book with the same title that focuses on James Jamerson. The documentary is more about the whole group. Lots of great music and great stories. It’s really sad that it’s taken this long for then to get the recognition they deserve.

5 Likes

@terb - Now that I’m healed up pretty well from surgery and can actually once again hang my bass off my shoulder, I plan to get back to some recordings this weekend. Still have several older covers that I need to re-record on video to load onto my website before moving on to the Motown covers. Should be able to start my first “My Girl” shortly after the New Year…

6 Likes

Welcome aboard, @gipsj . . . :slight_smile:

Those are some of my favorite Motown tracks as well :slight_smile: When you get the chance, stop by the “Introduce Yourself” thread and tell us a little about yourself:

https://forum.bassbuzz.com/t/introduce-yourself

All best, Joe

4 Likes

Agreed, @Lanny . . . :slight_smile: There were SO many great Motown tunes they used to play at HS dances etc.

Glad to hear that as well, my friend . . . :+1:

Hope the old ticker “keeps on thumpin”, too! . . . lol :wink:

Cheers, Joe

5 Likes

Yes, @Lanny, I meant to say something along those lines. Hope all is as it should be.

6 Likes

@Jazzbass19 - Hahaha - Yea, me too Joe!! Gotta say that it does feel a little “odd” at times but I guess it’s just something a person learns to get use to after awhile… As a matter of fact, today was the first day in two weeks that I was able to strap on the Ibanez 500E and play standing up! That was another reason I bought that particular bass just before my surgery - the weight… I tried hanging the Yamaha 304 off my shoulder and could instantly tell the weight difference. Gonna need a bit more time for the incision to heal before I go hanging any more weight on it though… In the meantime, “Ol Thumper” (that’s what I named it) is doing a pretty good job at keeping the beat!!

@PeteP - So far so good!! Actually got to wash my own hair today! I’m sure my wife is happy since she no longer has to put up with my sarcastic humor and colorful puns when she was washing it for me!!:grinning:

6 Likes

I’ve had my share of invalid time and relying on others for even minor activities, so I get what a big deal that can actually me. I’m impressed that you’re back on the bass before you’ve got your personal grooming skills back. Truly badass.

6 Likes

Yes me too :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Second this!

I loooooooove Motown bass playing. This was my most recent Jamerson transcription:

And welcome to the forum @Jessica, I recognize you from the Youtube comments! Feel free to Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022) when you get a chance!

3 Likes

Josh, SWEET!
Welcome aboard @Jessica!

3 Likes

Both Standing In The Shadows Of Motown and Soul Fingers (about Duck Dunn) are on my reading list.

3 Likes

Priorities @PeteP,… Priorities…:blush::notes::blush:

6 Likes

Good luck! As someone who has had two surgeries on each shoulder (though none in the last four years), don’t ever stop doing the rehab exercises. Other than playing the bass, those will be the most valuable 15-20 minutes of your day.

4 Likes

That @gipsj is exactly why I’m healing quite well. I learned years ago when I went through knee surgery… playing my bass is more of a “mental” exercise for me and helps to keep my spirits high and my head clear…

5 Likes

@Lanny Funny about the timing of this thread…

Today, I tuned to AXS TV to see what was on. If you’re not familiar with AXS TV, it’s a station that is dedicated to music. Most of the time you can find a concert or a documentary about a band. Today when I tuned in, there was a concert by Phil Collins in which he dedicated an hour performance to nothing but MoTown. He no longer plays the drums due to his health issues, but he’s a great lead singer. Behind him, a full orchestra; with brass, winds, Xphone, keys, percussionists, guitars, a chorus, and a great bass player. They played every MoTown song I can think of, and it was awesome!
Now, I’ve really got that MoTown Jones going! Damn, I’m going to have to find a MoTown cover band to play with!

6 Likes

I LOVE AXS TV @PamPurrs!! My wife records a lot of it to the Hopper for me since I’m always spending most of my time either outside on our property or inside in my music room. I haven’t seen the Phil Collins documentary yet, but I’ll most definitely have Connie out that one on radar for recording!!

I’m so jazzed that you’ve got the ‘MoTown’ bug! I just know that that ‘Red Rose 5 String’ could thump out some killer Motown groove once you get her all warmed up!! The Motown era was a great time in music history that we both were fortunate enough to live through and (see/hear) first hand… It kinda made us all who we are today…

Keep on Thumpin’!

2 Likes

YES!! Look what got delivered today… Once I finish up a couple covers I’m currently working on, it’ll be time to regroup and thump out some Motown tunes!

6 Likes