Lets Talk “Motown”! Who Has The Bug?

I like the foam trick near the bridge. Also the placement of the foam/sponge (close to the bridge, or a little bit more near the pickups) changes a lot in the muting and in the sustain, it’s interesting to play with that. The foam density also changes the muting, that’s why I have two foam block for this purpose.
It’s a funny trick, I encourage everygody to give it a try ! we don’t always have free tonal options like this :grin:

here I find the 174 sounds more appropriate to Motown songs. not that the 304 sounds bad, but it’s a bit cold and impersonal it this particular case.

3 Likes

A great explanation @terb… Cold and Impersonal… I’m currently working on “My Girl” by the Temptations, and the 174 sounds killer on that song with the overload of plucked/muted notes. There’s not one verse or chorus line that repeats itself in that song so trying to learn it is a real challenge because I have to focus heavily and lock into the song in order to play the Jamerson riffs…

3 Likes

For comparison here’s my 604, passive mode, tone rolled way back, neck pickup only:

Bearing in mind it’s got super bright rounds on it right now, that’s not too bad. I bet I could EQ it even more vinatgey.

Even so your 174 is more vinatge sounding though. Gotta love the P pickup.

4 Likes

it’s ultra deep @howard, would work well for trip hop and such things.

4 Likes

Yeah I am not unhappy with that tone at all :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@howard, It certainly does have a VERY deep tone as @terb mentioned. I’m sure you could eq it more, and I’m also wondering how it would sound with the half rounds (not flaxwounds) that I use on my 304. The 'brightness would no doubt disappear. With my Ibanez SR500 being both active/passive, I might need to try doing just that…

3 Likes

@howard - I just took off the brights that I had on my SR500 and did what you did with your 604. In passive mode with neck pickup only. Added a piece of sponge under the strings at the bridge end - nothing at nut end… Here’s a sample…
https://go-low.billlanahan.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/MyGirl-304-11120-4.26-PM.mp3
And here’s a comparison sound file using my 174…
https://go-low.billlanahan.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/MyGirl-174-11120-4.27-PM.mp3
Personally, I’m liking the sound of the SR500 over the 174 right now but then again, I’m deaf in one ear and can’t hear too damn well outta the other. To me, there’s a bit more punch and clarity to each note, definitely low, and I can pick up a bit more on the sound of the muted plucked notes that run rampant in this particular Jamison piece.

3 Likes

I prefer the SR500 too in this context, it’s more on the very low frequencies and the 174 is more in the low-mids (which is not abnormal with a P pickup). Also the tone you have with the SR500 works better in this mix in my opinion.

4 Likes

Thanks @terb! Kinda what I thought but it sure is great to be able to get some other input - especially after listening to this same song now for well over a week… Everything’s starting to sound the same… Maybe I need a break.

3 Likes

yeah I know this feeling when you don’t know what you ear any more, a little break can’t hurt !

4 Likes

Agree, I like the SR500 there too.

3 Likes