Looking for Bass Service

I would have looked at those for sure too, but they did not have stock.

I am interested in both the Fullerton Special (USA Made) or Tribute (Import) LB-100 and SB-1 myself, so I would have played them, had they had one or both, or I will, when they have either in stock.

I played

CLF L-1000
USA Fallout
Tribute JB

Because that was what was on the wall.
I would be very surprised, after playing the L-1000 and JB, if I thought any less of the LB-100 or SB-1

1 Like

Finally getting back to this thread. Phew, lots of replies.

So… most of the stuff I can do myself. Changing strings, swapping tuners, reconditioning fretboards, etc. But… intonation, action, and truss-rod adjustments are always hit-and-miss for me, because I don’t actually know the theory behind it all and I’m just randomly messing with stuff until it “seems right”.

So I got this “new” (read: old) Carvin that’s had a bit of a hard life, and I’m cleaning it up and trying to make it as nice and new-like as I can. I made a couple of truss-rod and bridge adjustments to get it playable, but I figured that they’re probably wrong and I’d like to get a professional to “setup” the bridge, truss-rod, intonation, and action on it. That way I know it’s right.

Pretty much, that’s what I’m looking for.

Thanks, but I was kinda looking for spots that came with personal recommendations. I’ll definitely keep your list handy and check them out, though!

My brother (a guitarist) and I were just talking about PLEK the other day. And @BigAl mentioned 13th St Guitars just above. So that’s two votes, I’ll definitely have to check them out.

La Habra… right on the border of OC and LAC, as far north in “north OC” as you can get. :slight_smile:

I thought about that, they’re in Escondido (down by San Diego). My problem there is that if I go down to Kiesel to get my Carvin adjusted I’ll most certainly come home with a new bass, and that will get me in deep doo-doo with my GF/CFO, heh.

3 Likes

True, BUT, as they are now a more boutique builder, and Carvin is not around, and they are not building as much inventory, they are usually limited too small amounts of stock on hand.

Check the inventory, and make sure they don’t have anytying you want to bring home with you, and if there are no basses that call out to you, then you could be safe.

Not that close, but not that far.

Al @Al1885 also uses 13th st guitars.

2 Likes

Yep, just checked their stock, only one I kind of like, and it is a bolt on neck.
For me, a Carvin or Keisel, must be a neck thru.
I am sure it is awesome, the bolt on, but even so, it is not something that I would like enough to be tempted to take home

They only have like 6 in stock. 2 are headless, so that a defiant NO for me
Couple are 5 string, another NO for me, and another, the JB4, is really awesome looking, but its a bolt on neck. Not sure it would be a critical on an actual Jazz bass, but if I was gonna get a Jazz bass, a Squire or LTD or Schecter, or probably the Tribute G&L, for 1/4 the pricer would do

Only the V49K, that is on sale I like, but still, its a bolt on neck, so I would be safe going there. Plus, not sold on that color, but love the neck and headstock, and the shape is pretty cool, just not sure about the gold sparkle finish

1 Like

@T_dub and I were at the AB music Studio, the tech there his name is Patrick seems ready good he looks like a really good player too. We heard him tearing out a guitar he just finished working. He was throwing down some riffs it was awesome.

It’s always a plus to get a tech that can play to work on your guitar.

2 Likes

Plus, @JustTim , His set up bench is right in the front of the store. He has window space, so people from outside could technically watch him work.
If he doesn’t have a huge back log of work, and or if you made an appointment, and he did the work why you were there, you could watch, ask questions, and for sure, have him add some personal touches, like if you prefer lower action on your G string, med action on your D and A string, and a little higher action on your E string, I am. Sure he could accommodate you.

This whole shop full of 2 to 3 employees max are all so very cool, and that personal touch is what would make me choose them over 13th guitars, if / when I need any service other then a PLEK

You don’t get do do much at 13th st but drop it off, explain what you want, and drop it off, and pick it up when they call you which culd be that week or 2 weeds out depending on back log. They do give you a pretty good estimate to how long it will take.
They were not always, but since Covid, have been by appointment only, and yu need to call to get on the schedule. As far as I know, things were more relaxed prior to covid, but I have not worked with them since pre covid, so I can’t say for sure.
Overall, it is more business then personal, in my perspective from limited times dealing with them (twice).
Don’t get me wrong, they are great guys, and everybody around here swears by them (Huntington Beah, they are located in, and I live in Costa Mesa now, but its a neighboring city, and I grew up in Huntington, so thats what I mean by everybody swears by them. People I talk to locally.
IMHO, my next thiing where I need professional help, I am going to AM Music, and I am pretty sure, from the two short times I was there in a week, tha the experience will be excellent.
The onlything I do not know, and did not bother to find out is what their rates are.
You could call Jeff (Al @Al1885 ) has his card with phone number and ask, or call the shop, or check online
OR
I am going to be back thre this week looking at some G&L Tributes that are coming in this week, and I can ask then

2 Likes

I’m just outside NYC and still navigating the luthier scene.
I found a good one near me in Greenwich, CT but don’t really know the difference between him and ‘someone exceptional I don’t know about yet’.
Took me about 5 years to find the best sax repair guys in the country, and now only trust my saxes to 3 people and 3 people only.

It’s hard navigating the repair minefield in any genre, need someone you end up trusting and is on the level you want (very good but not crazy good that its his/her way or no way). The best thing to do is visit with as many as you can, have the ones you like do something for you and then build a relationship with the one(s) you think will be best. The relationship will get you more than anything else.

2 Likes