Looking for feedback on fender player and vintera series

That helps ! It’s in my sight along with the 40th anniversary edition.

2 Likes

I have one as well - very very nice instrument… neck is perfect, sound is great (equiped with labella flats) , I can’t be more than happy with it.

It battles with a MIM Jazz and I can’t see a significant gap btw them, the squier might be my favorite (pls note that I tested several MIM in the shop to pick the one I liked the most - all of them were OK)

for the record, I remember trying a Jazz and a P a few years back when I wanted to start playing bass and decided to go for a P as I felt much better with the overall feel, despite forums saying that Jazz are easier to play…

I still feel at home with the P (got the J 3 years later and only 9 months back so it has less mileage)

My only issue with the squier P is that it feels so good that I can’t justify moving to a MIA P (I might do it one day for the brand on the head…)

My next one will most probably be a 5 string Dingwall to have something very different (maybe a Stingray but I had a few in hands and was not 100% convinced)

4 Likes

FWIW-

I limit myself to 3 basses, and current garage contains:

1. Fender Player P (MIM)
  2. Squier VM J (MII)
  3. G&L L2000 Trib (MII)

While my Player P is my favorite, I am absolutely in love w/ my G&L. Don’t count out other brands of basses to strictly focus on Fender (though George Fullerton and Leo Fender are the G&L of G&L in case you weren’t aware). My G&L is a dual humbucker, but they also make P style basses that you can find used at a pretty good price.

4 Likes

Yeah I would emphasize this - I would say Fenders are the baseline, good at what they do, but not exceptional compared to other brands. They are the standard for comparison but there are definitely other top tier choices.

3 Likes

@GGWAW @OldBlue thanks for the answers and feedback !

Speaking of other brands … You’ll probably hate me after ellaborating this much about squier/fender, but the topic will widen a bit. I stopped by my local shop after work today. The fact is, they have way more guitars than basses (that probably makes sense), and I was a bit disapointed when I discovered that they are not selling any squier nor fender. BUT, it would have been stupid to not try an instrument as I was there. So I tried a Sire P5 Alder 4MLG which was the closest model to what I’m looking for from squier. It’s the first time I try an instrument in a shop, I can’t tell if there is some kind of “demo” effect about this but everything felt better than my Affinity PJ. The feeling, the sound (plugged into an ampeg amp), I was kinda afraid about trying an instrument with people around but they have a special room for this, and I really enjoyed it. I almost convinced myself that I played correctly ahah. There is a world between what I experienced at home with my current gear and what I experienced in the shop. However, I was unable to compare to others models in the same price range, So I’ll take my time. It’s hard to not try something before buying to maybe I’ll try to find a place where they are selling squier, or order online and ask for a refound if disapointed.

The path will probably be longer than expected. :smiley:

3 Likes

Yes it is - been there!

One thing about playing in the store and comparing basses: I always take my own headphones and Boss Katana Go with me. First of all nobody hears how (bad) I’m playing and second of all I can compare the tonality of basses better.

I learned a lot about the ergonomy of different bodies and necks and the tonality of different pickup types.

I don’t care about specific brands anymore…

2 Likes

@Fake_Train

I mean no negativity with this post, but there are many Affinity guitars and basses that are decent, but probably more that aren’t. The Affinity is Squier’s entry level line, and there are MANY other makes and models that are far superior without having to spend a arm and a leg on one. I mean no desrespect to anyone that likes them or owns one, that’s just been my experience.

There are a LOT of different brands and models to choose from - take your time, play a bunch of them, enjoy the journey, and find one that speaks to you in sound, playability, and feel.

2 Likes

Sire is an excellent value, I have a couple Sire basses still. Can’t go wrong with Sire. I didn’t mention them as you seemed focused on Fender, but they are a good instrument.

I know my local Ma and Pa store tried to bring in Fender, but the minimum buy is quite high and they couldn’t swing it. Yours might be the same.

2 Likes

Yeah, only gripe I have with Sire is finding one to buy sometimes. They are really well made and, dare I say it, “punch way above their weight class”. Excellent value for money.

1 Like

Sire are fantastic. I look at them as being same quality level as Yamaha.

2 Likes

This it’s important. Other brands can be just as great or even better not only value but quality. Fender is one of the easiest because it’s widely available and many knows the models.

Sire are awesome. The root of it all actually from Marcus Miller. His tonal signature is on probably every bass models.

Yamaha 734A is probably the one I’d go for too. Although it doesn’t hurt to look at or look for the BB3000 or the BB5000. I’m in search of one right now in white.

3 Likes

BB734A is one of my faves of course :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My lowly little BB300 is my favorite guitar (6 string or 4) that I’ve ever put my hands on. The 734A is next on my list, whenever I get the urge. I just haven’t had it since I bought this last one.

1 Like

I don’t want to get to this point but now I really want one of the
BB3000

BB5000

BBNE1

4 Likes

They’re no doubt a big upgrade over mine but tbh I love my vintage Yammie as is. As far as modern Yamahas, I’d take a BB734 over a BBP34. It has the same pickups for $2200 less than the modern pro series. For the price, it just seems like a case of diminishing returns. Oh, also that matte black.

2 Likes

The 734A and BBP are both awesome. Not gonna lie I love the BBP colors a lot and am jealous of the beautiful one @JerryP bought :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Other greats from the past: The BB1200S, the BB2000, and the BB1024x/2024x

2 Likes

Thanks Howard.

2 Likes