Luthier venting

Well, I went and ordered tools today. When my Delano soapbar comes in for the neck pickup on the Surveyor, 'll try and install it myself.

Kind of intimidating, but I’ll have time to practice

3 Likes

You’ll do great. My free advice is to take lots of pictures before you desolder anything. So you’ll have a reference as to which wire goes to ground etc

5 Likes

Best advice and also download the wiring diagrams from Seymour Duncan for reference. Its not just for their pickups. You will do fine.

3 Likes

This!!!

2 Likes

@Wombat-metal another thing I do when soldering is to use painters tape around the pickup / control plate area and also a cloth to cover the guitar. So if you accidentally splash any solder you won’t damage the finish.
Picture of my old Classic Vibe Tele for reference (I should have kept that one)

6 Likes

UPDATES:

Rescued my Ray4, he damaged the mirror finish pickguard (which is a harder plastic) but did finish the backup black one (I was thinking ahead). After bashing the SIMs pickups for being “a computer, not a bass” I left, never to return. He said he would replace the nirror one and call me when it was done on his dime. Anyone want to hold their breath on that one, have at it.

The hollow body has been sent to the senior luthier. I actually called him today to talk directly figuring the door up at the local shop wouldn’t explain the issue properly (he didn’t). It was actually a great conversation and he totally understood the issue and how to fix so I’m hopeful this will get fixed.

To be continued…0

7 Likes

Hope it works out. Or on a positive note, it will work out.

4 Likes

Anyone taking odds whether my Luthier will have figured out how to connect a pickup to a two way switch today?

I did provide the schematics.

Oy vey

4 Likes

Thinking about this, there is a very large population that knows nothing of setting up their own gear, pros and hobbists alike.

Perhaps we all know just enough to be dangerous and call shenannigans on these guys.

3 Likes

I’m about to go to my first repair/luthier today to repair pickups they put in even before I bought my Bass…I’m worried XD

1 Like

They are no different than any other trade/professional. There are good ones, bad ones, meh ones and outstanding ones. It’s a journey. Lots of journeys in life. My feet are tired.

5 Likes

It’s like any other service in life. Ask questions, find one you’re comfortable with, ask more questions, and be patient.

2 Likes

Right…trouble is…I’m not sure what to ask XD

2 Likes

I don’t think it matters much what you ask. The question educates you, builds rapport, and indicates you’re invested.

Ie you’re watching like a hawk.

What did you do is a good place to start. how is another

3 Likes

@cobaltblue13 - some of us here really get into all the bits and bops of repair, etc. That doesn’t mean you have to, but what it does mean is that when you do go to a luthier, you can always come back here and ask questions to the collective hive and we can help you sort through it and see if it makes sense or if it’s snake oil.

3 Likes

That’s one oil I’ve never seen mentioned in the oiling your fretboard topics. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

Lol yea that’s a first for me too XD

I was told it was my cheap amp…it was a gift and only $50. Would that cause odd static?…o.0 on certain strings/frets?

Easy solution is to take your bass to a store, plug it into one of their amps, and if the problem goes away, it’s the amp. Or cable.

I was getting static the other night and on a whim plugged in another cable and the problem went away. Plugged in the original cable and static came back. I had a bad cable.

1 Like

No, my bass is not ready today.

4 Likes