Major/minor

If you get bored, there’s always negative harmony :smiley:

2 Likes

You sure about that? I would have thought a display of chugging skills to be way more effective. :sweat_smile::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I forget what we were originally talking about :smirk: but this is a great video if you haven’t seen it :grinning:

I never noticed that the Dorian scale is a musical palindrome.

2 Likes

Do you have a link to this?

I like how we’ve gone from the original beginner question of ‘If I flatten the 3rd does that make it a minor chord?’
To polytonality and parallel minor keys!

1 Like

And if you play a minor key while crossing state lines, do you violate any musical laws?

I think the OP has by now run far far away.

1 Like

His question was answered in the very first reply :slightly_smiling_face:

It is my uninformed belief that asking a basic music theory question to musicians is like asking a basic math question to an engineer.

3 Likes

I was quite out of my depth with the parallel minor and major keys and this video is probably the best I have found so far

1 Like

It’s lesson 3 of the course “THE BEGINNING JAZZ SURVIVAL GUIDE FOR BASSISTS”

You need to be a member for that but if you aren’t you could probably do a free 14 week trial.

*14 days. And yeah, the trial is available!

This so feels like a set up for a punch-line :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, I did joke about so it’s not lost on most of us and I did post the video “Why is Major Happy” which does apply to the original question. The original question was answered in the first few posts and It had gone off the rails when we started talking about those advanced concepts. :slight_smile:

The OP got the answer to his question and some of us got some more interesting stuff to think about.

2 Likes

If that were the case, the answer here would have been “it depends™” :slight_smile:

It just happens that you’ve come across the case of asking a music question to an engineer :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I thought it WAS the punch line :thinking:

1 Like

And while we’re so far off track, I’ll just share that these are some of my favourite courses so far:

• HARMONIC LAYERING - ARPEGGIOS, CHORD TONES & SCALES
  • TECHNIQUE DEEP DIVE FOR BASS
  • ESSENTIAL JAZZ STANDARDS WITH GARY WILLIS | SOLAR
  • PLAYING CHORDS ON BASS GUITAR - THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE
  • MASTERING THE MODES FOR THE IMPROVISING BASS PLAYER WITH RICH BROWN

I love Rich brown, he’s one of my favourite presenters on SBL.

1 Like

Yeah I know you were joking, I just find it amusing as a beginner to go from a concept that I understand like flattening the 3rd to ‘Nope waaaay over my head’ in about 10 posts. That’s all :grin:

2 Likes

Got to keep everyone interested or there won’t be anyone around to answer the “easy” questions :slight_smile:

I used to HATE theory 30 years ago when I played in an orchestra/jazz band! I only wanted to play music, I wasn’t interested in theory… it’s only playing bass that’s made me interested in it this last year. :slight_smile:

One of the best ways to learn these concepts is to answer questions here and participate in some of these threads. I enjoy these discussions because they make me think more about what’s really going on with the theory but I find it much more interesting than I find it useful. I like Victor Wootens thoughts on using theory.

If you’re a native English speaker, did you know there’s actually a rule for the correct order that you use adjectives? Most English speakers wouldn’t give that a second thought but it’s something that trips people up when they start learning English from another language.

Music is a language, theory is music grammar. Consider how long it took you to become proficient with the grammar of your native language… I work with people who still aren’t very proficient (they’re called engineers) ::smiley:

3 Likes

3 Likes