Maybe I Need a Thumb Rest?

I tried the floating thumb technique, after we talked about this a few times ago (and I think @Pampurrs posted the same interesting video at the time :slight_smile: ). To me, the feeling was very different from the “anchor-style plucking”, it’s pretty interesting. I had a feeling somewhat intermediate between plucking with an anchor point, and playing with a pick. I think the pick-ish feeling comes from the fact that the plucking hand is constantly adjusting its height depending on the string you are playing, that’s also what we do with a pick.

As some of you already know, I’m mostly a pick player. When I want the more organic and living sound and/or feeling of finger plucking, I switch to the anchor-style way and it gives a very different flavor to my playing (which I like). So in my case, I feel the floating thumb does not make much sense. But in many cases I think it could be some kind of best of both world. Everybody should at least try this technique, I think !

About the thumb rest, I don’t have one because I’m not sure it won’t interfere with the pick on the E/low-D string. Also I’m not sure about the ideal position for my particular finger player. I think I might try to add one on my new secondary P, which could be a good platform for this kind of experiment.

2 Likes

I started with floating thumb right from day one.
When I decided to play bass, and got a bass to start on, the first thing I looked for was ‘Right Hand Technique’ and ‘Left Hand Technique’, and straight away saw a vid on this method.
It made so much sense to me, and so I started with it from the very first. I thought it was going to be really difficult to master, but I found it to be very natural, and I soon began playing with this method without even thinking about it.
The only time I find it a problem is when I try and watch my right hand doing it - then it all just goes pear shaped lol.

2 Likes

First of all, welcome aboard @pancakes :slight_smile:

As time goes by and you get more experience, you’ll find the most comfortable position for your thumb, but it’s not a bad idea to start out by using the pickup.

What I often do is to rest mine along the E string (unless I’m playing it of course). This allows me to play at various spots to change the tone and mute as needed. I suppose this is like the “floating thumb” technique mentioned above.

I’ve found that the less I think about something, the easier it gets! :laughing:

Good luck to you in your bass-playing journey.

Cheers, Joe

1 Like

As did I… Almost day one, but close. Once I got past the awkwardness of it, it became very natural. Now I don’t even think about my right hand when I play, it seems to follow naturally with whichever string the left hand is on.

1 Like

Yes, I mentioned in this thread earlier in today Pam, that the only time I have issues with it is when I look at my hand to watch myself doing it - then it all goes pear shaped lol.

2 Likes

I have that same problem lol.
Also, if I conciously tell my right hand to move up or down a string or two, I find that it’s already done that on its own, and then things really go haywire.

2 Likes