Mixing Bass

What I meant here was, for the folks just getting into this, is that if you are looking to make covers, you don’t need to watch all these in depth recording concept videos and go nuts (which is exactly what you both are saying - amps, pedals, go nuts! You only need a bass and a DI, so you both agreed with me.

Sounds like Keeping It Simple……to me!

1 Like

its all about the mids.

3 Likes

I edited together my first theatre sound design show reel with a razor blade. What was my entire dream sound studio at the time that I would likely never save up enough money for is now entirely possible to have at home. The practically free software available is way better than many thousands of dollars of gear that successful music was produced on. I would have spent more on a quality 8 track reel to reel than it now costs to have everything.

Completely agree about access to information. I would have gone to my grave not understanding the genius of John Williams movie scores, but in less than an hour I’ve located Rick Beato pointing out that the character of it hinges around two major chords played a major third apart. It doesn’t exactly cover the genius part, but it does give me enough information to play something that sounds triumphant and that’s what I care about.

My comment on KIS is that nothing is at all necessary and most importantly no complexity should get in the way of doing. There’s tremendous benefit and no shame in recording and posting with phone video. The complexity only comes in when someone thinks “I wish that didn’t sound like that” about their own work. Then it’s time to level up.

5 Likes

The video is worth watching even if you never end up using any of the information on there.
I was blown away by the changes these guys can make using their gear and I’m only 20 minutes in so far.
Will I get that involved in it all? I honestly don’t know but it certainly shines a light on so much I never even considered, knew about or even knew existed.
I’ll certainly watch this a few times over to try and understand it a bit more and marvel at how easy these guys make it look

3 Likes

Cries in price of Buchla 200e snythesizer :wink:

But yeah, I know what you mean. :slight_smile:

I mean, you can spend as much as you want, but you don’t need to :slight_smile:

Arturia makes an Easel sim too.

1 Like

all the famous beatles, stones, who albums were recorded on 4 tracks.

3 Likes

…and mixed down on big studio mixers, compressed/limited with an 1176 that cost thousands, reverbs done with actual spring and plate reverbs, etc etc…

Abbey Road built an actual echo chamber for Yellow Submarine! Crazy.

Now it’s all cheap. Relatively.

3 Likes