Multiple Bass Disorder (MBD)

Their a family, they look so happy sitting on the couch together. All three :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I’d keep the ESP :slight_smile:

(assuming it’s in good shape that is)

3 Likes

Hi @juli0r,
They all look very nice, I love the dark coloured bass, that I am assuming based on your set up position is your favourite.:+1:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Yes. After spending a bit more time with both I am pretty sure that there’s a reason the ESP would be over budget as a new product. I love it and the good thing is: I like it also best aesthetically so no second guessing there. I told the clerk in the shop that I plan on returning the one I won’t keep thursday but the way it’s going everything just enforces the decision for the ESP and I feel like I could return the Cort tomorrow. The ESP just is overall the better product. Probably will still keep the Cort until thursday. No need to rush the decision now.

4 Likes

Just had another look @juli0r,
And I agree that the CORT looks a little bland, although it is probably a nice player?
I have never held any of the brands you have in my hands, but as I have suggested on previous posts the most important thing about a bass is how you feel playing it.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Yes. And even the Cort is usually more expensive than I would get it for. I checked both online and the Cort sells for 450-550€ and the Esp for 599€. They both play nicely. I actually made a comparison video practicing billy jean
But there’s just a few little things in which the ESP has the edge compared to the Cort as I listed above. Also the huge thing of 2 vs 3 band EQ.

5 Likes

Nice Basses you chose @juli0r. You know I am an ESP LTD guy. I have not had opportunity to ever play a Cort tho, and it is a brand that I am interested in.

Curious, do they have Edwards there. It is an ESP line. I had never heard of them til @howard told me about them. I have never seen or heard of them locally.

I went into a new super store chain that is basically a glorified Pawn shop. They call it a Reuse Store.

I heard about them on Offer Up, they were listing Basses and Pedals.
I was driving by one today and saw the name and remembered it. So I went in. On my way to GC with a drummer friend looking for a throne.
He found a nice one for $30. He said it would be about $90 at GC.

They had Basses, priced really high. Not overpriced, but not bargain price you would think they would be. For the drums they were really cheap tho.

They had Edwards, a Fernandez, 2 G&L, and a few others I never heard of, but looked really nice.

Those all looked new. The Edwards looked awesome, except one was pink, but it looked like it was well made and high quality. They were 6$80 and $720. All the ones I listed were $680 and up, but looked like quality instruments.

Bummer they are not marked down like the store type sounds like it would be.

This was more then a music store, it was an everything store. Clothes, furniture, jewelry, audio / video, appliance, anything, if you want to sell to them they buy, and resell. They have standards to meet, so most of the stuff is nice and great condition.

I just don’t see ever buying a lot of goods they sell from a store that sales are final, no warranty, unless it’s cheap cheap cheap.

Was a fun look, and cool to see some new Basses that are a rare find around here tho.

3 Likes

I only JUST saw that Cort on Friday night at my local and I was a bit impressed with it.
When you want help with choosing other basses, just let us know.
I can coach you through those brief moments of indecision so you can get to the purchase part.

4 Likes

It’s not brief moments of indecision. It’s taking my time while deciding for a long time purchase.

Maybe you mean something else than I understand but I don’t feel like I need coaching. I want (and think need to) find my own way when looking for an instrument. Appreciate the information about everything from the great folks of this community though.

4 Likes

Well, it’s not coaching in terms of what you should buy. Basses are like ice cream.
Just because I like French Vanilla doesn’t mean that everyone will like French Vanilla. Some like Ultra Chocolate.
The mere fact that there isn’t just one bass should be enough for people to realise that there isn’t a “best”
The fun thing is that even after a week of playing whatever you decide on, you’ll try something else and you will be able to detect differences. They’ll be big differences initially and you’ll decide if you prefer them or not.
As you get more used to every little aspect of what you are used to, you will be able to tell more and more subtle differences.
You’re shaping the ability to describe features. This “language” which you hold in your head to describe what you’re used to, will let you compare other basses in things about just more than sound palette.

You’ll have your own absolutely personalised opinion on every other bass you try based on what you learn to discriminate about them, formed by your comparison to the very first bass you get used to.

Once you’ve got a tuner, have read the manual and watched a few youtube videos on trussrod adjustment, you’ll have the ability to tweak the action and you’ll find you can make it garbage, but you can also make it feel nice to play.
My TRB5 has the loveliest action of all my basses. Cort B4 Plus next, then Fender.
Don’t miss the opportunity to know how everything goes together for height adjustment, neck adjustment, intonation, and basic luthiery. Nothing is rocket science and everything has multiple videos on youtube explaining it all, once you’ve read the multiple explanations and pictures of how to adjust everything else.

Nobody here will multiple bass disorder will ever discourage you from buying another bass because that would be a major “Pot, this is Kettle” call.

4 Likes

Yeah, I noticed. Also mentioned in this thread here
I also noticed that I liked the Cort better in the shop just because it was actually set up. Now with both set up the way I like there is a really clear winner between the two.

I am also not sure why I can’t shake the feeling of you talking down to me. As with coaching it’s probably not meant like that, I’m not angry or something and I don’t wanna start a fight about this but I thought it worth mentioning.

1 Like

I’m sure he’s just trying to be helpful . . . :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Juli, they are very patronising glad you could hold your breathe I had not liked their first post, it made me feel angry lol
Well done
Jamie

I think they’re both awesome - can’t you have both? :slight_smile:

I do agree with playing multiple basses though - when I had 1 for a while and got another, I couldn’t really tell the difference if I’m honest. But my tone was all over the place anyway, so I couldn’t “get through” and make my sound. But much later on, I can hear differences now.

Which really hasn’t helped my MBD :smiley:

1 Like

I… I don’t think so. Not at once. Not immediately.

2 Likes

Interesting that you thought I was being condescending, but that always depends on the context of the reader and not the writer. The basics that I was trying to put forward are that I believe that bass choice is very personal and that you’re doing the right thing in terms of what you’re doing. And that nobody in a thread about multiple bass disorder is ever going to tell you that you shouldn’t buy and learn.

However, in regard to opinions about stuff, I will point out something that you will see if you keep your eyes open for it.
Next time you see anything on the internet which has the ability to get feedback from the public, and I’m talking ANYTHING where someone can write back, be they ratings, comments, likes/dislikes or whatever, there will be a point where regardless of what it is, someone will NOT like or not agree with it enough to post that opinion.
I’ve been active on the internet for 26 years and have written literally more than all the Harry Potter books across six different topics. Two of which I’m internationally recognised on.

It’s impossible to cater for what viewpoint someone is going to read in what you write and so you can’t control on how you’re going to be interpreted. Someone of even temperament can miss one specific word and get what you say 100 percent wrong.
I bought $400 dollars worth of textbooks and research papers and read through them based on one forum post and a month later when going to reply, realised that I’d missed one “not” and the point was being agreed with rather than refuted. Even though I’d wanted a reason to go through all that research (On the gaining of expertise, pretty much everything done by K Anders Ericcson) it was a good illustration on how one person with a reputation for being precise got things 100 percent wrong and that person was me.

In the end, you get to know absolutely that you can’t make everyone happy, so you either give up, or stop caring about it.

Here I am lightheartedly trying to encourage you to go do what you want to do and learn from it and apparently I’m now “very patronising” according to one other opinion.

I can’t control those opinions, so I’ve learned to not care because they’re going to appear if I write anything at all. Every single person here should learn that if they feel like contributing to anything. There will be someone who isn’t happy.

1 Like

Common sense tells me to stay out of this.
Caution to the wind… I’ll side with @juli0r on this one.

I find it interesting that you think so. I have found this to not necessarily be the case. Allow me to illustrate.

I’ve been active on the Internet for 30 years, and while I haven’t kept a word count, I think you could probably fill a small book shelf with what I have written. Most of that on the Internet, but I have also had many articles published in printed magazines back in the nineties, and yes, I was also recognised internationally in at least one subject (which, coincidentally, was Field Target, a discipline of air rifle shooting, and quite a few of my writings were about the psychology aspect).

So there.
In this particular case, you are not dealing with one person who experienced your comment as condescending – I’ve counted three, yours truly included. I think that this is a good indication that, in such a case, condescension is not exclusively in the eye of the beholder.

I think part of why you might have come across as condescending is a cultural aspect. I live next door to @juli0r (relatively speaking), but I’ve worked with US- and Canada-based colleagues for years. Trust me, we are culturally different. Don’t ask me how I found that out.

As @Jazzbass19 points out, you are most likely just trying to help… but yes, I also got the feeling that you were talking to @juli0r from an assumed senior position.
When you then proceed to state that your coming across as condescending depends on the reader rather than the writer, what happens is that you reinforce that impression. It would really have helped if you would have simply said “sorry, I didn’t mean to come across as such.”

Maybe that’s something to think about.

4 Likes

Hi @juli0r,
Just to reinforce my opinion on why I think it’s important to let the bass tell you how you feel playing it.
I am uploading some pictures of my 76 p-bass that has a set of flats on it.
As the photos suggest it looks very mature/ worn, beaten up, etc, pick guard broken volume control broken strings at tuners not neat and tidy etc and fret board worn down between fret 2 & 6 on the bottom (pics not really clear)
But of all my guitars this is the one that does it for me, it just feels right.
I think I’m in love :sparkling_heart: , with my wreck​:joy::joy:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Yep.
I certainly won’t discuss it in an extensive manner. I said how he made me feel the way he talked to me and he felt the need to explain himself. That’s that for me.
While I’m glad you are siding with me @peterhuppertz I don’t see this discussion leading to any positive outcome. Also the reason why I haven’t responded directly.

4 Likes

@TNKA36 Back to fun things!
I agree.

I tried to pick up the Cort again because I said to myself that I should test both of them as much as I can but I had to force myself to do it and a slight feeling of relief overcame me after I picked up the ESP again. The more often I pick it up the better it feels.

Something I haven’t done yet is pick up the beginner bass I used to play on since I got both of the other models here. I’ll try it now to see how that feels now compared to the other two.

4 Likes