Multiple Bass Disorder (MBD)

Yeah. From what I gathered from chatter between clerks it’s desperate times for them. A bit of conversation was like “so we closed a 399 deal? Is it enough for (unintelligible)?” “No, but it’s a start”

5 Likes

Hm, maybe I should go down to Germany (now that this is “allowed” again) and see if I can get a killer deal on some bass(es) - a “Schnäppchen”, as it were :grin:

5 Likes

They have an online shop and when you contact them with intent of purchasing anything you can figure out shipping details for international shipping.

You just have to figure out the store page in german but should be managable. Contacting them should work in English.

Her: “…wha?.. oh… noooooooooo why me? Whyyy meeee? buäh buähähä”
Me: “Don’t worry I’m just kidding.” and explained the return thing to her
Her: “Oh… yeah, that’s okay.”

To recap: Tell him or her you bought 2 basses. Suddenly one doesn’t seem bad.
More in the next episode of strategies of how to convince your better half that buying another bass is ok.

3 Likes

Das krieg ich wohl gerade noch so hin :grin: Allerdings hatte ich bestimmt nicht vor bis nach Bochum “hinunter” zu müssen… Flensburg, Hamburg, Lübeck vielleicht… aber vielen Dank!

2 Likes

they don’t offer international shipping for standard purchases but if you see something you like on the store page they’ll figure it out with you!

1 Like

I hope that you like hospital food Juli
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

@juli0r We need to list these strategies, This would be in the top 5 :rofl:
:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

1 Like

Next week’s episode: @juli0r learns to eat through a straw.

2 Likes

I just finished setting up the ESP. The guy in the shop didn’t really take his time with that. Was in a hurry today.

Here are the two beauties and my old bass.

I don’t have stands yet so they get to chill on the couch. I sorted them left to right from most liked to liked less.

At first I liked the Cort more but having more time to experiment the ESP is nicer. I said if I can’t decide between two basses fretcount on the neck might be the difference. Overall it’s not just fret count. 3 band EQ vs. 2 band.

EQ knobs have a tactile noon setting on both that it clicks in so that’s nice but doesn’t help me decide.

Then there’s the inlays I haven’t really noticed in the store. Still just points but from that shiny/reflective material.

Will still setup and test the Cort more.

5 Likes

Their a family, they look so happy sitting on the couch together. All three :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I’d keep the ESP :slight_smile:

(assuming it’s in good shape that is)

3 Likes

Hi @juli0r,
They all look very nice, I love the dark coloured bass, that I am assuming based on your set up position is your favourite.:+1:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Yes. After spending a bit more time with both I am pretty sure that there’s a reason the ESP would be over budget as a new product. I love it and the good thing is: I like it also best aesthetically so no second guessing there. I told the clerk in the shop that I plan on returning the one I won’t keep thursday but the way it’s going everything just enforces the decision for the ESP and I feel like I could return the Cort tomorrow. The ESP just is overall the better product. Probably will still keep the Cort until thursday. No need to rush the decision now.

4 Likes

Just had another look @juli0r,
And I agree that the CORT looks a little bland, although it is probably a nice player?
I have never held any of the brands you have in my hands, but as I have suggested on previous posts the most important thing about a bass is how you feel playing it.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Yes. And even the Cort is usually more expensive than I would get it for. I checked both online and the Cort sells for 450-550€ and the Esp for 599€. They both play nicely. I actually made a comparison video practicing billy jean
But there’s just a few little things in which the ESP has the edge compared to the Cort as I listed above. Also the huge thing of 2 vs 3 band EQ.

5 Likes

Nice Basses you chose @juli0r. You know I am an ESP LTD guy. I have not had opportunity to ever play a Cort tho, and it is a brand that I am interested in.

Curious, do they have Edwards there. It is an ESP line. I had never heard of them til @howard told me about them. I have never seen or heard of them locally.

I went into a new super store chain that is basically a glorified Pawn shop. They call it a Reuse Store.

I heard about them on Offer Up, they were listing Basses and Pedals.
I was driving by one today and saw the name and remembered it. So I went in. On my way to GC with a drummer friend looking for a throne.
He found a nice one for $30. He said it would be about $90 at GC.

They had Basses, priced really high. Not overpriced, but not bargain price you would think they would be. For the drums they were really cheap tho.

They had Edwards, a Fernandez, 2 G&L, and a few others I never heard of, but looked really nice.

Those all looked new. The Edwards looked awesome, except one was pink, but it looked like it was well made and high quality. They were 6$80 and $720. All the ones I listed were $680 and up, but looked like quality instruments.

Bummer they are not marked down like the store type sounds like it would be.

This was more then a music store, it was an everything store. Clothes, furniture, jewelry, audio / video, appliance, anything, if you want to sell to them they buy, and resell. They have standards to meet, so most of the stuff is nice and great condition.

I just don’t see ever buying a lot of goods they sell from a store that sales are final, no warranty, unless it’s cheap cheap cheap.

Was a fun look, and cool to see some new Basses that are a rare find around here tho.

3 Likes

I only JUST saw that Cort on Friday night at my local and I was a bit impressed with it.
When you want help with choosing other basses, just let us know.
I can coach you through those brief moments of indecision so you can get to the purchase part.

4 Likes

It’s not brief moments of indecision. It’s taking my time while deciding for a long time purchase.

Maybe you mean something else than I understand but I don’t feel like I need coaching. I want (and think need to) find my own way when looking for an instrument. Appreciate the information about everything from the great folks of this community though.

4 Likes

Well, it’s not coaching in terms of what you should buy. Basses are like ice cream.
Just because I like French Vanilla doesn’t mean that everyone will like French Vanilla. Some like Ultra Chocolate.
The mere fact that there isn’t just one bass should be enough for people to realise that there isn’t a “best”
The fun thing is that even after a week of playing whatever you decide on, you’ll try something else and you will be able to detect differences. They’ll be big differences initially and you’ll decide if you prefer them or not.
As you get more used to every little aspect of what you are used to, you will be able to tell more and more subtle differences.
You’re shaping the ability to describe features. This “language” which you hold in your head to describe what you’re used to, will let you compare other basses in things about just more than sound palette.

You’ll have your own absolutely personalised opinion on every other bass you try based on what you learn to discriminate about them, formed by your comparison to the very first bass you get used to.

Once you’ve got a tuner, have read the manual and watched a few youtube videos on trussrod adjustment, you’ll have the ability to tweak the action and you’ll find you can make it garbage, but you can also make it feel nice to play.
My TRB5 has the loveliest action of all my basses. Cort B4 Plus next, then Fender.
Don’t miss the opportunity to know how everything goes together for height adjustment, neck adjustment, intonation, and basic luthiery. Nothing is rocket science and everything has multiple videos on youtube explaining it all, once you’ve read the multiple explanations and pictures of how to adjust everything else.

Nobody here will multiple bass disorder will ever discourage you from buying another bass because that would be a major “Pot, this is Kettle” call.

4 Likes

Yeah, I noticed. Also mentioned in this thread here
I also noticed that I liked the Cort better in the shop just because it was actually set up. Now with both set up the way I like there is a really clear winner between the two.

I am also not sure why I can’t shake the feeling of you talking down to me. As with coaching it’s probably not meant like that, I’m not angry or something and I don’t wanna start a fight about this but I thought it worth mentioning.

1 Like