Multiple Bass Disorder (MBD)

I do that with B2B. When something is just not clicking, I pick up my other bass (I have 2) and usually it helps. I work it out on the other one and then go back to my main one and voila. And if I don’t have any voila in the house, I just get some beer.

4 Likes

I had the same thing. I went from an scrawny Ibanez to a pretty chunky P-clone and I love playing that fatter fingerboard. However, when I had a problem with Roxanne in B2B, I switched to the Ray4 (which I had briefly, and over all didn’t like mainly due to the skinny neck), and that lesson and the next few went like butter on the Ray. Then, for a long my only bass was the chunky P-clone. When the covid restrictions lifted, though, I went into my local Long & McQuade and tried a Squier jazz bass, and I was all over it, it was great. So, I bought a used skinny-necked JJ Peavey and love it. Other than trying some things that are P-bass specific, I’m a jazz neck Peavey convert… for now. In fact, I’m hunting for a P-bass version of the same one I have.

It. Never. Ends.

2 Likes

Yeah, it never ends :slight_smile:

1 Like

38mm-40mm nut width, slim C profile is the sweet spot for me for necks. Just feels right.

1 Like

Yeah, same here - I had a play on a 5 string, and it just messed with my head. I’m sure I’d get it after a while, but I’ve got enough going on with 4 strings at the moment!

Hm, I could use one of the jazz basses for BEAD, thinking about it

2 Likes

Started on an ibanez skinny jazz, then went on a p bass for about a year. Then got a jazz and now I definitely prefer the jazz. That exercise last night where I played on the p bass for about an hour and then changed to my main (jazz) really stood out - that’s going from the widest neck I have to the thinnest neck I have, and when I started on the jazz after the P, my hands tangibly felt faster and it almost felt like either the P bass neck was slowing me down, or I’m just so used to the jazz speed because I play it so much at the moment.

Definitely faster though!

2 Likes

I have one of my PJ’s set up in BEAD and it works really well… I can only imagine how great a P would sound with a set of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders on it…:grinning::grinning:

3 Likes

Hmmm. I bet my Jaguar with the EMZ pups would be killer in BEAD

4 Likes

Is the black powder musket and powder horn part of your security system? :joy:

4 Likes

I have a bung where most people don’t, so no GAS from me. I tend to limit my basses to those that I need, so it’s one in one out. In theory.

2 Likes

I have two Bass at the moment.

That’s all I need, but I could foresee adding a few more (2 - 3 maybe) to the stable purely because I’d like to have them. I’d have to cull my 6 strings for that to happen so the Les Paul may be classified bound to free me up to look for a used Warwick Thumb.

Edited to add, I too try to limit the number of instruments in the house and would rather have a small number of high quality instruments than a vast collection.

Currently in the house we have
2 x Bass
2 x Guitar
2 x 3/4 guitar

My daughter has expressed a desire to learn bass and has outgrown the 3/4 instruments so it looks like we may be selling three to make room for 2 more Bass. :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

SWMBO also tried doing this with her clothes. She now has a closet full of clothing… and yet nothing to wear.

2 Likes

Lucky clothes aren’t basses, eh.

2 Likes

I really don’t mean to divert the thread here, but how hard is it to convert a 4-string to BEAD? I’m thinking about doing that on my Carvin. So… I guess that you use the lowest 4 strings from a 5-string set? Or are there specific strings made for BEAD? Does the nut need to be changed or anything?

2 Likes

@JustTim check out this thread:

2 Likes

You got it, the nut is the biggest thing. May need some filing, and you may need to change the nut if you go back to EADG. And the neck will be under less tension so it may need a truss rod tweak, but that’s it.

Simple mod

3 Likes

To each our own @HowLowCanYouGet - bro…:grinning::grinning:. All I know is that when Many of the songs that I play on stage change keys and tunings throughout the song set, there’s no time to make any changes to just one bass…. Not only that, we may move from one song to another where flat strings (or rounds) makes the song sound better….

I do believe that ONE bass works well for many, but for me (since I use NO peddles), having at least 3 bass’s at my immediate grab is what works for me…

Just my opinion…. None of the bass’s I use are “favorites”. They’re all great instruments - just set up differently for the different songs that I play…

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

3 Likes

I’ve more or less settled on two.

3 Likes

Gotta leave the door propped open just a bit…in case :wink:

5 Likes

I figured someone would catch the nuance, yeah :slight_smile:

5 Likes