My Fender Flats

They arrive today. I had my mind set on putting them on my Vintage VJ74 Re-Issue. But I also have an LTD B-50 FM that is PJ. Opinions on whether they would mesh well with the Jazz or the PJ? I think the Jazz with flats is the sound I have heard in my head but not 100% sure.

4 Likes

Is have a hard time putting rounds on a jazz but that’s just me.

2 Likes

If I get what you said, the Jazz should get the Flats?

2 Likes

I would reckon try them on the jazz but there’s really no hard and fast rule.

3 Likes

Plus 1 on what @Mac said…. There’s no set rule and it’s all about what works for you. I’m one that has a few bass’s, and with that am usually changing stings on each one to get different tones and action for whatever I’m playing at ge time.

As an example, I have flats on my MIM Fender PJ and they sound great and work (finger wise) well for some of my music where I don’t have to do a ton of fretboard work - however, when it comes to when I’m on a different song that requires me to move around a lot in the fretboard and use bends, slides, and hammer on/pull offs where I really need distinction of tones per notes, roundwounds always work best for me.

It’s all up to you. There is NO set rule on anything. What works best for you is the right way for you…. The only way you’ll learn what works “best for you”, is to do it on your own….

When it comes to asking which type strings to use on any specific bass,…. is like asking a restaurant full of Italians “What’s the best pasta to use with a red or white sauce”….

Experiment and learn what works for you.

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

… depends on if they’re Northern Italian or Southern Italian. (sorry @Lanny I just had to throw that in).

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

I got the Fender Flats installed on my Vintage VJ74 Jazz bass. Man, what an eye opener. They feel and sound superb. And they did not require as much of the stretching that my EB Slinky’s did. And they feel so smooth and are so “burpy” it makes me smile. And I found my fingers move a lot quicker when playing. I will keep rounds on my LTD but think I have found “THE” string for the Jazz. And the green silks are cool as hell. I have to give them a “Ten” for value and exceeding expectations. I think they make me play better.

4 Likes

Nope, most use rounds :slight_smile:

I guess it depends on who your legends are too.

3 Likes

The earliest guys, also Steve Harris. Weren’t they all originally sold with flats? If not, then my perception of bass guitar history is skewed.

3 Likes

Some, yeah, and obviously everyone did before Entwistle helped design rounds.

But since then most of the bass heroes used rounds, which is what I meant.

2 Likes

5i9v0b

8 Likes

It really tied the room together!

6 Likes

This should always make you decision. Glad you went with it and it turned out the way you hoped.

2 Likes

It’s the same old story every time the topic of flats comes up: Some people like flats, some people like rounds. Some people think everyone should play on rounds and no decent bass player would even consider using flats.

1 Like

Good sound in all strings. People should play what they want and not worry about the opinions on the internet.

I was just answering the question statistically above, not making a value judgement. Statistically, more players use rounds. Depending on era, this extends to the legends. Some of the old school players stuck with flats for sure.

3 Likes

Most definitely. I’m pretty sure I can make rounds or flats sound equally as bad but put in the hands of a bass maestro I’m pretty sure they’ll sing

2 Likes

I’ve said this before, but pick a genre and there’s an artist who makes flats or rounds sound great. No rules here beyond what you like; try them out and if you don’t like them, change.

2 Likes