My first jam session

Hello!

I just wanted to share my little story with you, since it marks an important achievement for me :partying_face:

I had my first jam session, and even if I am a super beginner, I was the band leader, too! Can you imagine a bassist as a band leader? Sting! Les! make room for me, here I come!

Last week I had my first jam session with two really special (if not world-famous, yet) musicians: my son (10 year old) was on the guitar & my daughter (8 years old) was at the drums. We jammed on the ultimate groove workout, as a good way to learn the blues scale and eigths notes.

Now, from an “objective musical point of view”, it was… let me see, how can I phrase it? Terrible is probably a good description.
But… From the point of view of “how much fun we had”? It was amazing!
And from the point of view of being a proud father? Out-of-scale! 10/10 would do again

I will be honest, I am not a good player. There are people who are talented and people who are not, and I know fully well where I do stand (of course, people who are talented have worked a lot to earn their talents!)

But my joy in playing with my kids and exchanging nods with them to actually play together… you can imagine it. I couldn’t dream of a better first jam session and the nice thing is that the other musicians (!) had fun, too, and want to play again together!

:slight_smile:

20 Likes

That’s great.

Talent is just one factor; hard work has a lot more to do with it.

If you’re having fun, keep on doing it. Rock on.

5 Likes

Yes, I fully agree. But I am realistic. My goal is to be able to “plant the seed” of music in my kids and to be able to jam a bit together with them, I know that I will never be able to do flashy stuff. But everybody travels their own journey … I am glad to be able to play, even if just a bit. Really, being able to play with my kids is huge for me. By the way I forgot to mention it, but I also taught them about 12-bar blues :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I bet that was the absolute best! Congrats! Looking forward to the EP!

3 Likes

now you’re just being a show off :laughing:

3 Likes

I know, I know… :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t want to sound too grand, now, but we played a 12-bar blues progression in G and we were even mostly on time and mostly in tune! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Will send you a signed copy of the poster! :smiley:

2 Likes

Congratulations.

Whether it’s your kids or other like minded people it’s hard to describe the feeling of enjoyment playing with others isn’t it. :+1: :+1: :+1:

My two sons have no interest in playing any instrument and I often wonder if it’s because they know how much practice and time it takes from watching me. Probably would take too much time away from their Playstations and Xbox :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

sounds amazing

2 Likes

Dude! This is the best kind of jam session ever!

My son plays guitar and my daughter can keep time on a drum set. I would love to get them together in the same room with instruments and time to play. I have a new bucket list item.

3 Likes