My first time playing bass with others!

I missed this,
We are doing some Beatles too and they are deceptive ranging from super simple to quite complex.
Macca is a bit of a God given that he was a pioneer in many ways.

2 Likes

You rock @Barney! This is so great to hear, very inspiring, thanks for sharing.

I believe that. The covers thread motivates me to learn complete songs, and the supportive audience is fantastic. Its a step in that direction for sure.

Wait? Just songs! They didn’t ask you to learn the Mixolydian mode, or what the difference between Ab and G# is, or to buy a new bass or something? :wink:

Way to go, you’re ready for this!

3 Likes

So awesome, Im so glad for you! :heart:

Now keep on rocking!

2 Likes

thats awesome @Barney…cool to hear and motivating too for new bassists like me

2 Likes

Nice stories ! Congrats

My experience is the other way around !

I immediately started playing in a “band”.

My oldest son played guitar, my 2nd one piano and my 3rd drums (also singing)… so I said why not start bass ! So from Day 1, I started playing with them… to be honest this has slow down my progression as playing root 4/4 was good enough most of the time and therefore I wasn’t pushed to do more

Started Beg to badass course a month ago and this is quite fun ! Hoping to put more flavors to my playing.

Looking forward to next year as my wife and #4 boy will try saxo !

8 Likes

I took Josh’s advice.
“Nobody gets mad when you turn up with a P Bass” :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I haven’t found a guitarist that turns down their amp yet. It’s just a race to 11. But playing with people is great - did you find when you’re done with the song, folks are smiling and laughing cause it just felt so good? That’s why I keep going back…

5 Likes

Nice one @Barney ! Oh man I am jealous. Live jams are way better than playing at home…

2 Likes

Mate, I found a group by having a conversation and putting myself out there.
I think it helps that we like bass and everyone seems to want someone who actually wants to be the bass player

4 Likes