My Son's Challenge

Love it @peterhuppertz.:+1:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

@Mark_UK ooooh! they can be cruel :slight_smile:

4 Likes

well to sum up, the conclusion to all that, is that @Mark_UK will soon have a Stingray.

:v::grin:

6 Likes

They are uncommon but relatively often up for sale here, give me warning before you come to Japan again and I’ll check around.

There’s one listed now in fact, about $620 US.

http://mercari.com/jp/items/m60158445621

4 Likes

Hi @howard,
We are planning on coming Bach 2021.
Covid 19 will dictate when we are able to travel.
Will definitely let you know :+1:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Cool! Maybe by then we could grab @Tokyo_Rat too and do a group field trip to Ochanomizu or something :slight_smile:

6 Likes

way cheaper than what I saw here in France, where the price is something around $1000-1200.

4 Likes

They are usually less than that, around $400-500 here.

https://www.mercari.com/jp/search/?keyword=SBV500

SB550s are a bit more.

6 Likes

im in!!

5 Likes

Judging from that link, the also seem to sell like hot cakes. :smiley:

4 Likes

Yep :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You seem to have some amazing guitars for sale over there @howard

4 Likes

Japan is a musical instrument gold mine, yeah.

5 Likes

At first my mind went to the definition of twink and started wondering what “starkle” means.
Then I continued reading. It was a relief.

4 Likes

So, this all happened a bit too late for me last night ti chime in… but, still, I was also in shock… and still am…

How did you pull that off, @Mark_UK?? This is not a challenge… this is a massacre for your son’s wallet :grin:

First, there probably isn’t a simpler song in the universe (OK, that’s a large place, but still…). Second, “playing along” means not even playing the melody - it means playing roots at the beginning of each bar. I guess you should be able to do this after roughly one week of learning bass and with one hand tied behind your back (just hammer on at the appropriate fret) :wink:
OK, so you are doing a rock cover: play said root notes as sufficient amounts of eighth notes for said bars; and apply some distortion to your tone - done!
Of course, if you feel a tiny bit “guilty”, you could a bit more (as suggested by others)!

I would do Amazing Grace for him if he buys me a decent fretless afterwards!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I would learn any bass line from davies “hardest bassline ever” video except the one from Charles Berthoud for a Herr Schwarz but I don’t think it works like that @joergkutter

Just to clarify: I want to learn the one by Charles too but for any kind of challenge that has a shorter deadline than a decade I don’t think I would make it.

4 Likes

Well, perhaps not… but it could!

We could all chip in and buy that bass for you if, and only IF, you really nail those bass lines (or one of them)! Somehow, I don’t think our money would be in any immediate danger :grin:

(Ah, just saw your edit: indeed! :wink:)

4 Likes

Deal!

I don’t blame you for not watching but there are easy bass lines in there. It’s a fiverr video and some are done by (relative) beginners as far as I can tell. So just one of them would actually be easy :smiley:

So I organize a money pool for a fretless if you nail amazing grace and I get a Herr Schwarz for let’s say… the bass line from the 69 dollar guy who made the best one apart from Charles. And also won a challenge by charles - in the video he plays the bass he won in another challenge.

[sarcasm]
it’s just harmonics, tapping, fast fingerstyle, sweep picking. Should be easy
[/sarcasm]

In fact… if I would get so good as to nail the bass line by the 69 dollar guy I would feel like I deserve a Herr Schwarz and scratch the money together by myself somehow. The reason that I haven’t spend 2k on a bass is not that I could not but rather that I would not and it would not be a smart or responsible decision. Not yet. I barely played for two months and still have a little bit of a guilty conscience for even spending 400€ on one while actually having an acceptable one to play.

6 Likes

Yeah, not a big Davie504 fan, but I thought I had seen this one at some point a while back… :man_shrugging:

I couldn’t really understand why you wanted a second Le Fay - I really thought you already owned a Herr Schwarz… I am confused now… so, you are telling me this isn’t you playing here:

:joy:

5 Likes

I thought it would be cool but then I realized that I think headless basses are aesthetically unpleasant and have to buy another one.

You know… like buying a new car once the ash tray is full.

6 Likes