Nashville Numbering System

If I’m writing the chart out by hand, it usually looks something like this:

Not so easy with a standard word processor or text editor.
To that end, my lead sheets look just like yours. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Holy crap. That’s one crazy lead sheet.
Kinda looks like mix between a math and a physics exam :rofl:

OOH and I just noticed the Dobro.
Don’t run into them very often but love the sound :+1:

1 Like

Haha! To be fair, this isn’t one of mine, but it’s a great example of how my instructor taught me to do it many moons ago.

I too, love the dobro. Don’t hear enough of it in modern music. Or pedal steel.

1 Like

Rather than run out and buy a pedal steel I opted to just learn bottleneck slide.
Hell of a lot cheaper and the sound is very nice also.
And of course you have to make your own slide.

Here’s one of my favorite songs played on a pedal steel.
I wasn’t going to show this because I did not want to be accused of giving @PamPurrs any ideas :innocent:

3 Likes

No worries, I have no interest in that instrument other than listening to the masters playing it.

1 Like

You know Pam it seems to me I heard that same thing regarding midi keyboards and look at how that went sideways :rofl:

OK how about this? Ever tried it?

2 Likes

Yeah, that was before it occurred to me that they could be used as a piano and not just a MIDI controller (in which I have no interest). So now I have an 88 key piano in my studio in addition to my basses and guitar. I’m in heaven.

2 Likes

Indeed they are, at least in jazz.

1 Like

It’s certainly what I use. Not that I am an expert.

Who the heck willingly chooses an instrument tuned to an E9 chord? I like the sound of a pedal steel, but have to assume that the player is working off a heavy Karmic burden.

@PamPurrs You can find that page using the Internet Archive (“Wayback Machine”). But I see no link for downloading the font on it, and in any case if the actual site is no longer working, then the font it offered probably wouldn’t be available on that server.

The “Contact” link at the above archived page works, though. So, if the email address is still valid, perhaps you could contact Rob Haines and he might direct you to a place to find the NNS Font, or even provide it to you. I’m not sure if he provided the font separately from his software, “Number Chart Pro,” though.

1 Like

@Never2Late, Number Chart Pro is what he calls his font package.

1 Like

Oops, thanks for pointing that out. I skipped that when reading the page, apologies. At any rate, he was charging $44.00 for the font back when the site was active (2007 or so?).

1 Like

Seems all Greek to those of us who play by ear, but whatever works!..

I learned of the system onstage years ago, when my front girl started yelling numbers while we were playing something she wanted to play, that we hadn’t rehearsed.
Afterward, I asked wth that was. At least, now I sort of understand, but haven’t found any use for it.
But then, I don’t write lyrics or music, just play with what I hear. I’m happy with that!

1 Like

You gave an excellent example of a good use for it!

3 Likes