Need Suggestions for case, stand and strap

I’m curious, what are the nicer features? I’m not opposed to trying something new next time I buy strap locks.

1 Like

Schaller strap locks are designed so that they can still hold the bass if the lock mechanism itself fails. They are a horseshoe-shape that fits around the outside of the peg.

Even if the lock pin fails the peg will sit held up by the bottom of the horseshoe (which is upside down in that pic).

3 Likes

Okay, they’re only $12.99 on Amazon right now, so I ordered a set. I’ll give them a try. I’ve been using the Dunlops for 2 years now, but I’m open to try something new.

2 Likes

I put Dunlops on everything and i have a lot of straps, so I am stuck with what I got for now.

2 Likes

Warwick’s straplocks are basically the same as Dunlops (might even be branded, who knows), so I’ve had two basses with them, and there’s nothing wrong with them, I just like the Schallers better.

2 Likes

https://colonialleather.com.au/music/products/leather-guitar-straps/padded-guitar-straps/black-3-5-foam-padded-leather-guitar-strap/

I like to buy Australian made so I can support small business doing it tough during COVID lockdowns. This strap is super comfortable. Not sure where you’re located, thought I’d give my fellow Aussie members a look at a quality product!

1 Like

I have a bit of a strap (buying) problem.
I try to get one to match/enhance each bass in some way.
I have dedicated straps for almost all my basses, its almost another obsessively fun hobby.
I have wide/narrow/cheap/costly and try to get different brands to see how they are as well.
For comfort alone, sadly the #1 is the most expensive, Stinger. It’s the softest leather I have felt, arched to conform to your body, and very very red (other colors available).

The other brand that is surprisingly comfortable is Walker & Williams (sold on Amazon). For a relatively thin strap (although padded) its very comfy but does take a bit to break in but then awesome, I have two of those, they make a zillion different varieties.

I find that it doesn’t necessarily have to be wide to be comfy, just designed right and of the right materials.

1 Like

I have mostly wide straps, but then I have mostly Fenders which tend to neck dive, and wide straps help with that.

1 Like

I tried a few options and settled on Loxx strap locks.
They’re really unobtrusive, very secure and don’t rattle like the Schallers.

My favorite case is the Gator foam case.
Plenty of protection, light, practical storage.
I use one of these on the Dingwall in preference to Dingwalls own brand (which I also have)

3 Likes

I have a thing for Couch Guitar Straps. They search out old rolls of material that have been sitting in warehouses for years & make gear out of them. My bass strap (very comfortable, btw) is from the faux leather roof material of the 1972 Cadillac de Ville. My guitar strap is made from Vietnam-era military Jeep seat belt material. I got my son a strap from a tacky Aztec seat cover material used in the Volkswagen GTI in the 80s that nearly matched his falling-apart GTI. I thought it was funnier than he did :grin:

3 Likes

I do have one of these and they are great too.

1 Like

UNless you’re often really taking your bass from the house…I’d focus on getting a nice padded Earnie Ball strap and stand

2 Likes

Hes got a good eBay store too. Does some great looking straps

1 Like

I ordered those Schallers from Amazon, and they were so crappy I requested a refund from Amazon. They gave me the refund and told me to keep them. They’re such rubbish, Amazon didn’t even want them back LOL.
I’m sticking with the tried and true Dunlops :+1:

3 Likes

Weird. Wonder if you got some cheap knockoffs instead of the real thing. I have Schaller straplocks on my basses and I think they are great.

7 Likes

Yeah I like them way better than Dunlops. Much more secure - even if they fail they would still hold up the bass due to the design.

With the Dunlops I was like, “that’s it?”

The Dunlops seemed okay but not nearly as solid as the Schallers.

For $12.99 I am guessing she got knockoffs as that’s less than half the normal price.

5 Likes

Yeah, that sounds really off.
I much prefer Loxx to Schaller but that’s nothing to do with Schaller quality.

The set I tried were really nicely made and a robust design.
Crappy and rubbish makes me,question whether you got the genuine article.

2 Likes

Same - all my sets have been super nicely machined, nicely finished (I like the black chrome), with great packaging and excellent instructions. Quality product start to finish.

4 Likes

I’ve received counterfeits on Amazon for other things more than once. I sent a pair of headphones to the supposed manufacturer to confirm it.

2 Likes

That could be. Maybe I’ll take another look at them.

1 Like