New Fretless Bass

@Jazzbass19 It “had” small dots on the top of the neck to mark the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 12th frets; but that’s it (I say “had” because I have already returned it).
My new one that I ordered is on the UPS delivery truck at this moment and should be in my hands in a few hours. This one (according to the photos) has fret lines.
You are correct in your assumption that it DOES force you to learn to play without looking, but I have been working diligently on that skill anyway.

Cheers!
Pam

2 Likes

OK, got it! . . . Thanks, Pam :slight_smile:

Great!! . . . That’ll give you something to look forward to! :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve already got a set of flush mount straploks and a Levy’s Leathers 4" strap for it. Same setup as I have on my Yamaha.

1 Like

Vibrato sounds great on fretless too, if you can do it. I never quite got it down.

1 Like

@JT Are you trying to do vertical or horizontal vibrato? On the fretless it’s predominantly horizontal, but on the fretted you can go either way, although vertical seems to be the most popular.

1 Like

Vertical, but I haven’t played fretless in a long time. I learned bass on one initially. I just think it sounds better on fretless because the frets aren’t there to get in the way.

2 Likes

@JT here’s a nice tutorial on vibrato. I really like this guy’s videos.

3 Likes

That is a really old Adam Neely video. I think he was still in music school when he put this out. Still a good video.

I like his old ones a lot. One of them for left-hand bass technique helped me a lot.

2 Likes

I remember when you posted it. Great video. It helped me too.

1 Like

Well, I thought I had an extra set of the D’Addario tape wounds that I had put on my Yamaha, but I was mistaken. I DID, however, have a set of flat wounds and put them on. Sounds great and sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiides soooooo sweet!

3 Likes

so ? cool so far ?

2 Likes

INDEED! I love playing the fretless, so many things I can do on it.

3 Likes

Next: sliding harmonics!

2 Likes

Yeah if I had a fretless I would definitely use flats on it - I bet rounds (even half round) just eat up the fretboard. I mean, they eventually eat metal frets, much less wood.

2 Likes

I have flats on mine as well. I love the tone.

2 Likes

yeah I think exactly the same. one day I’ll have a fretless with flats. don’t know at all what I would do with such an instrument :joy: but it’s cool

5 Likes

My fretless HB begs to differ. It came with rounds, and I’ve still got rounds on it today. The fretboard is pretty much pristine – and when it eventually would wear down, fixing that is not gonna break the bank.

I wonder if you could do sliding harmonics on a tapewound as well as you can do it on a roundwound…?

2 Likes

Oh yes indeed you can, and I do. I have flats on my fretless and tape wound on my fretted. Sliding on both of them is really nice, but on the fretless I can make amazing sounds.

2 Likes

Yes, but I have yet to hear anyone do sliding harmonics on a fretted bass. :laughing:

2 Likes