Newbie wanting to try the bass

Hello all -

Extreme newbie here…Looking at entering the bass world at 54 yrs old (I guess better late than never…right ?) Anyway, always loved the iconic rock bassists, Geddy Lee, John Entwistle, Etc. That being said, I am considering the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass (MIM version) to enter my journey. I am SURE there are cheaper basses, BUT I am extremely weird, and have the “curse” of wanting nice things right off the bat, so I don’t have to upgrade down the road. IF anyone has suggestions, or comments, by all means. Also, an amp recommendation would be appreciated.

PS…As soon as I acquire my equipment, I will start my learning with Josh Fossgreen’s online
instructions.

Thank you all !!
Jim

13 Likes

Welcome @stuka1166

I wish I was as young as you, but thankfully I still have my feeling of youth.

As far as amps, the Fender Rumble series is very popular among bass players, and is discussed frequently in this forum. I started with a Rumble 40, and later went to the Rumble 100. I now have the Rumble 500 amp head with a Rumble 115 cab.

I started out cautiously with a $89 bass from Amazon. It didn’t take me long to become hooked, and have upgraded a few times from there. The Geddy Lee you’re looking at is a good choice, and would not be a problem selling if (heaven forbid) you decide bass is not for you.

7 Likes

There is nothing wrong with starting out with good equipment if you have the budget for it… but don’t think for a second that you still aren’t going to want to upgrade later anyway! Most people start cheap because they aren’t sure they will stick with it long enough to justify the expense of nicer gear. The only downside to doing it your way is that you can’t blame your bad playing when you start on your poor equipment! Enjoy the ride.

8 Likes

Go for it Jim @stuka1166! 54 makes you young among many of the beginners here. We’re all having a blast, and you will too. Students of all ages here and all very supportive. Buy the bass you want, as @PamPurrs said most hold their value Ok. Everyone has a different path, most important is digging on what you have so you will want to pick it up all the time. Happy thumping :smile::smile:

9 Likes

@stuka1166

Welcome Jim! I started learning bass almost 3 years ago (January 2018) at the age of 56, so you are not starting too late!

If you want to start out with a quality instrument, I say go for it. Like others have mentioned, you can always sell it later.

Good luck to you and hope to keep up with your progress on this forum. We have a wonderful community of support here!
Phil

8 Likes

Welcome @stuka1166.
I’m in my fifties too and only started in May this year. Enjoy your learning experience. It’s very enjoyable and Josh’s course is the best.
As for the Geddy Lee bass , which not? I started on a cheap P copy and very quickly swapped that for a mid-range Ibanez. Then added a Fender P bass and a Squier Mustang ( GAS is an awful condition :joy:)
I’ve finally ended up with the bass of my dreams thanks to a forum member but I still look at what’s available

6 Likes

you’ll find a bunch of us here around your age, i’m 55. as long as you can afford it, buy whatever makes you happy :+1:

8 Likes

Jim, I started earlier this year at 56 and know theres a few older newbies here as well. At our age we usually can afford something a bit more upmarket and that looks good.
Currently I have a Rumble 15 but I like the look of the Rumble 40 Studio which has a load of great inbuilt effects. Alex

6 Likes

Will this be the next “Tell us your age” thread ? :smiley:

@stuka1166 welcome to the bass world!

I guess you can never go wrong with any Jazz Bass! I would recommend going to the music shop and trying it out however (if you haven’t of course) Even if you have never played any instrument before just go and touch it and touch other instruments as well…

7 Likes

I went that route and it worked out fine. As others have pointed out, it didn’t stop me from wanting something else after more experience. Now I have 2 and they are both terrific for different reasons.

7 Likes

Welcome @stuka1166 !!

I am in the same boat as you (in more ways than one)…

1. I am in my 50’s and just starting out. By the way, Beginner to Badass is a fantastic program!
  2. I share the “curse” of wanting nice things right off the bat vs. having to upgrade later and did similar to you, wanting a higher end instrument. I echo what others have said, if you can afford it, want it, and it might make you inclined to play more often - GO FOR IT! I went with a U.S. made Fender Jazz as my first Bass five months ago when I started, and have zero regrets. So much so, that I now proudly own, a MiM Fender P-Bass (wanted the different tones) and two other basses! Yes, I have “GAS” (which if you don’t know yet, is Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

As far as amps, as @PamPurrs said, the Fender Rumble 40 is a great place to start, also what @JoshFossgreen recommends in his gear video which you can find here on the site. I now have a Ampeg BA-210 (1. Because I can and found a honey of a deal, and 2. For the eventual day I am able to play in front of people). :smiley:

In closing, I am not sure where you’d meet a finer group of folks than right here in the Bass Buzz family. Welcome again!

9 Likes

I’m also a newbie, at 45. I play drums but decided to try bass as a lot of my drummer friends also play bass and they said I should try it. I would have loved to have gotten a sparkly Music Man bass but I didn’t have $3K LOL. So I have a Yamaha and a rumble 15 amp and I love playing it. I figure I can always upgrade once I have the $$ to do so :wink:
I’m also going to take the Beginner badass course. Can’t wait!

7 Likes

Hello stuka1166, This newbie has you all beat. I am 77 and just started playing this year with the help of Josh. I played drums in high school and have always loved the rhythm section. I am having a great time with my short scale Gretsch ($300.00) and Fender Rumble 40. I haven’t missed many days practicing and am making progress every day. Here’s wishing you luck with your lessons. Carol

12 Likes

@caroljh welcome to the forum. When you get a chance, please tell us more about yourself here.

We have 2 things in common… I started learning bass at 70 and I also played drums in high school (I was kicked out of the high school band). Since bass is a rhythm instrument, it goes hand in hand with drums.

5 Likes

Reminds me of the old saying: The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, but the next best option is to plant it today.

I started at age 34 and have often regretted not starting earlier. I think about missed opportunities I had back in school where I had access to music teachers who were eager to teach me music and music theory but I couldn’t be bothered at the time.
Nothing I can do about that now, but it is never too late to learn a new skill, and starting at 77 proves that perfectly. Enjoy the ride, it is an extremely rewarding experience to watch yourself grow into the instrument and Josh’s lessons make it so very achievable.

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @caroljh! Age means nothing here because music is eternal. Enjoy the course and everyone here is willing to help.

7 Likes

Hi Jim,
Jim here!

After many years of putting it off, I finally at the age of 50, I picked up the bass, and I cant put it down! I love it.
I started out with a new Yamaha BB234, and learning here with Josh! He is a great instructor, always learning always joking. I have bought a couple of more basses since then.
My most favorite bass is my 1982 Peavey T-40. Mind blowing instrument.
For Amps I have a few suggestions.
I practice (yes everyday) through a VOX AP2-BS
My Peavey T-115 amp, it works great, good sound.
I now have a bass stack (lots of gear) that I play through.

I hope this helps, Play on Brother!!!
Jim

8 Likes

Welcome @caroljh and @jimbo

5 Likes

I’m five years older than you. I’ve been taking in person lessons once a week for 5 months from a good teacher. I recommend a nice easy to play Ibanez in the $400 range.

6 Likes

Hi Carol,

Seeing your post made my day! I’m curious to find out what the biggest challenge has been on this new adventure of yours.

Harold

5 Likes