Next generation headphone amp

I just got mine yesterday ($60 USD on amazon). I am very happy that it will connect to two bluetooth devices at once. I run the app on my Samsung S10, and simultaneously have it connected to my computer (where I’m running Josh’s B2B course). So I can adjust levels and effects while I’m streaming videos from the computer. It took me a bit to adjust the levels between the computer and the amp. The “Pop” setting almost blew my ears off, while the “Rock” setting was rather quiet, even though the app shows them having the same Gain and Level settings. It’s very easy to adjust on the fly, so no big deal, but rather curious. The drum tracks are serviceable, you can adjust the drum volume independently from the amp, and chris6 has explained the jam tracks well.
I’m very happy that I can stream from my computer, and control the amp with my phone simultaneously. After 3 hours of use I am very happy with this purchase.

Edit: I should mention that when streaming from the computer there is a noticeable delay in the audio vs the video (I’d guess maybe 1/4 of a second). I’m listening, not watching so it doesn’t affect me, but for someone else this may be an important consideration.

4 Likes

I have been using mine for about a month now. Once I reset the presets to get rid of the reverb (why does everything come with reverb one?). I was quite happy.
I like it much better than the VOX I had.
The one thing I have also found this to be useful for is trying out basses in the stores.
If you know what your basses sound like at home thorugh the NUX, you can privately try out basses without worry in a store. Of course you can always hook up to an amp for a second sound. I also like this for trying used basses as it really highlights any electronics issues in your headphones.

4 Likes

oooh - hadn’t thought of that. I like that idea.

Always carry mine to the music store, with a good set of earbuds

On the other hand if you are sitting beside the (Windows) computer to watch a video it is probably not much bother to plug in USB cable from the NUX to the PC. Then you can select the NUX as your audio output device and listen to the video with no latency. The NUX latency issue is in the bluetooth implementation.

And I said “Windows PC” because the NUX seems to be slightly non-standard USB implementation and doesn’t work in linux yet and probably Mac OS suffers the same issue. I have read that there is a fix in the sound drivers in the linux 5.12 kernel (ref Re: Nux Mighty Plug USB - no clock source — ALSA Devel). NUX supply USB drivers for Windows, and that works well.

Also I’m using the tontorious/mightier_amp to control the NUX from my phone… so I have set up all 5 presets to suit my bass… no more guitar amps on my plug.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for mentioning this, as I’ve been considering picking up a NUX (I don’t need one, but I’m a sucker for gadgets) but lack of Linux compatibility is a deal breaker for me.

I guess I’ve gotten complacent, as all the DAI’s I’ve used so far “just work” on Linux - no drivers needed.

3 Likes