Next time someone says their hands are too small

I thought maybe I had small hands and that is why learning bass is a challenge at times.
Then this girl changed my mind.

https://fb.watch/7fLQnoGb0W/

6 Likes

A child prodigy . . . :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Now she makes me feel like a slacker – It says she started playing April 2020.
Well I do have time till my first year is up but dang she is a natural.

3 Likes

That’s it, my bass is going in the trash. :weary:

4 Likes

I am not even watching this, as my fragile ego likely can’t take it anyway… :crazy_face:

Instead, I would like to re-iterate a Jordan Peterson quote:

“Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today”

18 Likes

Excellent! :heart_eyes_cat:

6 Likes

Great Quote @joergkutter !

I took this video more of a inspiration that if you want to do something you can!

5 Likes

‘Comparison is the death of joy’ - Mark Twain

Sitting here learning the next song in the 50 song challenge. There’s no way I’m watching some 5 yr old child who’s demonstrably better than me :wink:

7 Likes

Here sense of timing is great!

Since you’re usually only fretting one note at time on bass and many of the chords notes are a short distance apart, bass really doesn’t require large hands compared to something like classical guitar where you often need large stretches. There are some things like one of the Jaco Pastorius solos where you need to fret a note and play a harmonic at the same time and it requires a good stretch but there are usually workarounds too that don’t require such a big stretch.

If you’ve never seen him before, check out Django Reinhardt playing guitar with only 2 fingers on his fretting hand. Check out the run he plays at 0:41 in this clip: https://youtu.be/aZ308aOOX04

3 Likes

Can I have your stuff? :joy:

3 Likes

I am liking Week 12 song. It’s pretty fun.
Its nice to play something fast and actually be able to do it!

I am working on another cover that is very humbling. Key change in the song of 1/2 step is messing me up big, but I am not giving up.

We are not 5, nor prodigies. But man, I do love playing music, no matter how hard it is. I love the journey and that is it something you can do no matter what time of day to bring yourself joy (frustration maybe too, but that is part of the package).

Remember, if you don’t sound bad, then you aren’t practicing the right stuff.

5 Likes

Oh Great…an optimist. :tired_face:
:wink:

3 Likes