No more excuses!

I can no longer officially complain about what I cannot play or that my hands are small or that the song is too hard. Look at the joy in this little girls face as she plays Tom Sawyer. We should all feel this joy everyday we are above horizontal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmNyNJFCugo&t=152s

19 Likes

Sure you can, unless you’re also a prodigy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Between her and the little Chinese girl, “YoYo” on guitar busting out Steve Vai (For the Love of God) sometimes I re-think my life choices…(LOL)

4 Likes

For me, that train left the station 60 years ago. I’m not going to waste energy pining about what could have been, when my energy is better spent focusing on what CAN be.
With that said… yes she is amazing! Thanks for posting…

8 Likes

How does that saying go? “The best time to start was 10 years ago. The next best time to start is now”

8 Likes

A year and a half ago I never touched a bass.
I can now play loads of songs I couldn’t before that time (loads more I can’t, but that’s the “carrot” to keep going).

A year and a half and a day ago I didn’t even know I wanted to do this.
I am crazy happy with my progress.

I’ve been playing sax for 10 years and trumpet before that and suck crazy bad still at sax.
This bass journey is a wonderful thing for what I can do, not what I can’t (I have sax for that).

6 Likes

Dang! She’s not even old enough to know how stinkin’ cool she is!

That laugh at the end is priceless.

5 Likes

She is definitely at adult level of skill, so I agree that she could be labelled a prodigy. However, I don’t think she has any mythical powers (not that you said that). Looking in the room she is in for this video and other videos, I’m guessing she has grown up with musicians and that makes a big difference (also worked for Victor Wooten). I also wouldn’t be surprised if she had extensive private lessons. I wish my kids would embrace music, but they only seem to want to play video games (though they probably get that from me!).

BTW, Ellen, the girl in the video, is 9 years old and has only been playing bass for 16 months… Very impressive for sure and also shows how much more advanced the learning speed is when you are younger. It’s great to see her ability and even greater to see how much fun she has playing.

3 Likes

Yep …this. Ever seen a 10 year old learning to ski? By day 3 or 4 they are nudging towards the black runs. They bounce and (generally) don’t have the fear (of failing/getting hurt) that adults have.

2 Likes

A very few people do have that extra talent for playing instruments or understanding music in general. I have seen similar age kids shredding the guitar on a level that is waaaaay beyond my skills. Most professional musicians are very talented too.

2 Likes

Ellen Alaverdyan is a 9 years old bass player from Las Vegas, Nevada.
Started playing the bass in April 2020.
The journey continues …

3 Likes

Wow. That’s a great video. If you haven’t watched it, her father knows Victor Wooten and used Victor’s ideas on how to teach music with her since she was born.

Not round here. By 10 years old they’re already on the freestyle /race team and will be kicking your ass :slight_smile: Man I wish I’d have grown up in a ski town like these guys/girls.

3 Likes

Brain plasticity is a wonderful thing. I miss it.

3 Likes

:rofl:. I just love watching kids ski - fearless!

It’s not all bad news, there is still hope for us. This guys is very interesting. Using Failures, Movement & Balance to Learn Faster - Huberman Lab

2 Likes

Does he share those idea anywhere?

1 Like

Yes in the video I posted a few posts back.

https://forum.bassbuzz.com/t/no-more-excuses/23566/11?u=ruknrole

1 Like

It’s not a matter of “can’t “, however a person with large hands has an easier time generally speaking.

On the other hand, small hands have an advantage on the high end of the finger board.

Wrap your head around this Victor video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0blVDkKlpw

1 Like