Offered a trade and I’d appreciate some input please

Da funk’s in da gunk

5 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. :smiley:

3 Likes

Likely with all the beer spilled on it, the lacquered wood did most probably drunken quite a bit. :beers:

4 Likes

Love dat dirty Maple
Love dat dirty Maple
Oh-h, oh-h, Jazz bass
You’re my own!

2 Likes

We don’t call that dirty, a better term is “seasoned” :rofl:

I bet you it sounds great though, can’t wait to hear how you like it.

3 Likes

Congrats @Mac you are going to love this. That’s my last Fender Jazz built. Super cool with the wider pickups and funky Jaco bridge pickup tone. That ages neck is just priceless. That’s a score.

3 Likes

Thanks @Al1885
I couldn’t put her down last night once I put a new set of flats on her.
The neck is a little rough on the back where the poly (?) has worn but it makes no difference to her playability ( for me anyway)
The sound is amazing, so mellow I swear it could melt you.

6 Likes

Looks like a nice one! Surplus of Mojo right there!

3 Likes

Congrats Mac. That’s a bass with some serious gravitas.

Funnily enough, on my last purchase I went out full sure I was going to buy a Stingray and I came home with a Jazz bass.

If you’d asked me a year ago I’d have said a J-bass is the last thing I’m interested in, but now… :thinking: :partying_face:

But there’s no way I’m parting with my Thumb! :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

I was the same @HowlinDawg . No way you’ll get me to have a Fender let alone a jazz bass. And then………

4 Likes

3 Likes

I was going to help fund my next bass purchase by selling my Fender Jazz, then I had a professional set up on it…

4 Likes

I have more than a dozen Jazz basses I can tell you that this one is spectacularly different. The pickup spacing is wider it offers great unique tones. Does yours come with the Hootenanny button?

Love the patinas, sticky neck you said? May be a 800 grit sand paper would do the trick, that’s also a perfect shade for the Tru-oil a few coats and you’ll be set.

4 Likes

We will be watching you (cleaning that neck) with great interest :laughing:

3 Likes

Thank you @Al1885 for pointing me in that direction. The best way to go about it had me staring at the neck at 1am and wondering how to begin

2 Likes

What is this Hootenanny button you speak of? :scream: That’s such a good Scottish word

Also while I’m lucky enough to be getting advice from those who know, I had an issue with a real rattle on the open A when I put the flats on her! I cured it by winding the string further down the tuning peg. Do the gurus think a new nut might be in order?

4 Likes

I had a go last night with lemon oil ( Dunlop stuff) but no dirt came off on the rag! Did I not leave it on long enough for it to do its magic or is it too ingrained in the poly finish to be removed? I’m usually a bit more gungho about stuff like this but I don’t want it f*ck things up

4 Likes

Do people use lemon oil on maple fretboards? I thought it was for rosewood and other non-gloss finishes.

2 Likes

I googled it in my fumbling for answers last night and that was an answer that came up @howard
Is there anything better? I’m a bit lost here.
I would normally with the Warwicks use naphtha and then rehydrate the fretboard but that’s pretty harsh stuff and I’m not sure how the poly would react to basically lighter fluid. The thought of turning the fretboard into a sticky mess is very real!

2 Likes

Sweet find @Mac!

I have used naphtha on two basses and two guitars. I don’t soak it or leave it on. Wet the rag or Qtip with it and immediately wipe off any excess. Never had a problem. Cleans really well.

1 Like