"Only 30 minutes a week!"

Facebook showed me this ad today:

I get the appeal of getting better quickly, but the framing of learning the bass “in only 30 minutes a week” is really odd and amusing to me. Like, you want to learn the bass but you don’t want to actually play it?

I guess they’re mimicking things like “get washboard abs in only 30 minutes a week!,” but that one makes sense, because you might want the abs without actually enjoying exercise. But why would you learn bass if you don’t enjoy playing it?

11 Likes

Maybe they just mean it’s so effective that 30 minutes of practice a week suffice.
Basically you could do B2B with 30 minutes a week.
But you’re right. To get good at it you need to put in the practice. It would just make sense if the lesson was 30 minutes and you take additional time to practice.

I stopped thinking about the logic of ads long ago. I got angry at phrasing in ads in the past so nowadays I just don’t even think about it, because I can’t and won’t do anything about it.

5 Likes

There’ll be plenty of people who’ll fall for it. Then we’ll see them here in the “Introduce Yourself” thread talking about it. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7 Likes

I mean, you can learn the bass in 30 minutes a week using any reasonable method. It just might take you a lot of weeks. And it will be hard to build and retain the fine muscles, so there’s a ceiling to how good you can get, I think. I just don’t know why you’d want to learn bass at all if you only want to play 30 minutes a week. Unless you’re trying to learn 16 instruments at once and fit them all into your busy learning schedule, I guess.

8 Likes

What if somebody comes out with “Bass in 29 min a week”. Will their be a war?

11 Likes

@tamaraster I think Josh is more honest
https://youtu.be/zk9yoo8oGlQ

7 Likes

This phrasing always bothers me as well. There are lots of ads for “Learn a new language in as little as thirty minutes per week!” I think it makes it sound easier… but if you give me enough weeks, I can teach you nuclear power theory in as little as thirty minutes per week.

6 Likes

To me, the phrasing only makes sense for things where the doing of it and the outcome are different. Like, lose weight in only 30 minutes a week, or keep your house clean in only 30 minutes a week, or prep your meals for the week in only 30 minutes. It doesn’t make sense for a hobby like playing the bass or knitting or sculpting or singing or whatever.

5 Likes

I’ll buy this one :grin:

6 Likes

I can teach your cat to fly in 30 minutes per week. If your cat is not flying in 20 years, I’ll refund your money.

5 Likes

They may be.
If you chose to pick up the bass to play in a rock band and get the chicks (pardon my French), the desired outcome is different.
But then again, if that’s your desired outcome, you’ve chosen the wrong instrument, as the graphic below will show you.

14 Likes

LOL! (snort)

5 Likes

I only need three more basses to obtain that outcome! Yeah!!! :metal:

6 Likes

Ha! I’m only short one bass… aaaaand I’m also ahead by one cat! :smile:

6 Likes

Lol. Me too.

4 Likes

I for one LOVE the reality. My Basses are pretty stoked too!,:+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

5 Likes