Ouchie, Newbie Needs Finger Fretting Tips

FACEPALM We can wash the strings? @John_E I will look into this canned magic. I’m so grateful that there are so many stages of progress to badassery because it means there are lots of opportunities to slowly and steadily level up. :sunflower:

BTW, I found this colorful fretboard pic and have been staring at it dreamily in an attempt to make all the notes miraculously map into my brain.
(See: GIF | Gfycat)

~!Sue

1 Like

Thanks for seconding the endorsement for Fast Fret, @Guto :sunflower:

2 Likes

Good to know about the A, B, C here, along with the time to create and toughen the calluses. :sunflower:

2 Likes

@BassFaceDisgrace
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
:sunflower: :sunflower: :sunflower: :sunflower: :sunflower:

3 Likes

Watching as soon as I finish replying to everyone. :sunflower:

3 Likes

Thanks @DaveT Thanks for sharing that ‘that game changed your world’ — insider tips like this is one of things I’m loving about leaning music and finding community.

Good to know, and thanks for the link to this video! :sunflower:

~Sue

3 Likes

@eric.kiser You just gave me a gold mine!

Ouchie indeed. My A does sometimes feel nerve pinchy so shifting more toward B/C finger position seems to be where I need to shift.

My son is a budding (2 mos) self taught guitar luthier but has not worked on a bass before and I’m considering giving him a try on my Squier p-bass. Would adjusting the action be roughly the same on bass as guitar or are there different considerations for bass?

Totes going to watch those videos and read those threads. Gold.

Thank you. :sunflower:

~Sue

3 Likes

Yes, the procedure would be the same, @Sue . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Great stuff - and I’d like to add a few cents to this…

Actually, just 1 cent :slightly_smiling_face:

Once you develop the calluses, and that’s a very good thing, as it’ll add to your tone and be wholly yours, you need to make sure to take care of them, meaning, don’t let them crack (really an ouchie!).

I use O’Keefe’s Working Hands cream – check this article out:
Strings Magazine

GUEST_67f1a8ad-def3-4913-8ae3-7eac9bbc26ae

4 Likes

Haha, that is where I would draw the line :grin: They look like the thingies worn by bank clerks who need to count many bills.
Nah, I am good with the glove; that makes a lot of sense to me, but these rubber thingies seem just wrong… at some point you probably lose all touch with the strings and the fretboard, and I wouldn’t want that.

As for picks: we have an entire thread on picks (just use the search function to locate it); depending on the style of music you want to play (mainly), playing with a pick might be a good option. Personally, I prefer plucking with my fingers :smile:

5 Likes

Agree. It’s part of what you sign up for when playing bass or guitar. It honestly becomes a non-issue after a while.

This guy like this are marketers creations to capitalize on new players looking for the “easier way”. John has done a few videos on gear thingys and if they are worth it or not. These types of “helpers” are needed by no one, other than the company selling them so they can take your money. Save your money for your next bass.

Here’s a bunch more nonsense…
Ask yourself is any of your idol bass players might have used this stuff….

6 Likes

Not sure whether ALL gadgets are nonsense… it’s a fine line… Again, if it indeed helps someone, why not?! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Thanks this is actually something I need to look into since my hands are (sometimes) extremely dry.

2 Likes

What kind of bass are you playing? I ask this because strings are not all equal. I find that stock Fender strings tear my hand up, where other brands are not as rough.

3 Likes

Thanks! Totally going to ask the kid to do it.

1 Like

@numberman2000 Thanks for the recommendation and article link. :sunflower:

1 Like

OMG yes, that’s exactly what they reminded me of! I have been using a 1.5mm pick occasionally but mostly finger pluckin. :chicken:

2 Likes

@Sue have been busy with so many replies :joy::joy:

We all like to help each other with questions and improvements :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve only seen that first one with the trumpet buttons. What is that red doolie? The blue cheese grater almost caused a spit take, lol. And that last baby fretboard is puzzling. Thanks for the advice. I’ll save my $$ for legit gear. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Wombat-metal I got a used Fender p-bass

6 Likes