Ouchie, Newbie Needs Finger Fretting Tips

Cool. @MC-Canadastan I’m going to give flats a try to compare and then let my ears decide :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have flats on a Jazz bass with la Bella flats on for the Motown sound. It’s kinda cool.

1 Like

I have La Bella flats on:
Squier super mod
Fender HMT Hollow Body
Gretsch Hollow Body
Traveller (they really help tame that piezo brittleness)
Fender CS 61 P (these are the 1954 Vintage heavy flats)
Testbed Ray 4 with the SIMs pickups (will flip flop with rounds as I go)
The TRBX504/Red&Gold Vintera P/EBMM BFR/Frank Bello/Rocco Prestia have rounds of various brands.

1 Like

I have the 1954 heavy flats on my Blue Jazz, and light D’Addario flats on my Jaguar PJ. I have rounds on my Aerodyne and Black Jazz in BEAD.

I am putting tapewounds on my new Sire V7 as I want to back off the brightness a bit, but not as far as flats. And stringing through the body.

I have a set of tapewounds for my Project Jaguar as well.

1 Like

If that’s the sound you want then flats are definitely a good way to go!

1 Like

I had tapes on my AE but sold it with them on.
I was thinking about trying them on the MHT hollow body once the electronics are swapped out.

Doh! Technically it’s a Fender Squire p-bass, hecho in China.

Hey Sue, I used a glove for the first 3 months of playing so I could practice more without fatigue and then after it wore thru was able to go on without.

-Try lighter gauged strings or flats wounds
-turn your volume up so you play lighter, a lot of people play quiet then force their playing.
-do a set up and lower the action to your liking

1 Like

Thank you @Vegaswizzle! I’m planing on trying flats and lowering the action, and “turn it up” is exactly what I needed to hear. :sunflower:

That’s ALMOST exactly what Steve Harris of Iron Maiden does… other than the light gauge flats. He uses his own signature Rotosound flats, except they’re pretty porky: 50-110.

1 Like

Cool! Good to know. :guitar: