Overdrive - DG Microtubes B3K V2 or Ibanez Tube Screamer (Bass or Regular)

Any distortion pedal I tried generates noise when you turn it up. Just tried it on my Vintage and the hiss was very noticeable with the drive set to max. In my humble opinion the noise output is actually very low on Darkglass pedals compared to others. If it bothers you can set your drive lower and tweak your EQ for more distorted sounds OR use a noise gate.

Also… I’m not sure if I’m talking out of my ass right now but when I turned the volume on my amp to REALLY loud (to a point where it gets a bit scary loud) I had one hand muting the strings on my active bass and I swear that I heard my own heartbeat?? The cones of my speaker went DUM DUM … DUM DUM … :laughing:

4 Likes

I can see this happening, yeah, I am pretty sure you are talking thru your mouth.

2 Likes

dirt pedals aren’t clean (:thinking::grin:) especially with the drive cranked. just part of the sound. you could post a sound file, sweep the drive up and down.

2 Likes

Tuner - on (no input to pedal)
Compressor - off
B3K

I took all the other pedals out of the chain.
Fender Studio 40 using the “Bassic Bassman Clean” - 01 setting

https://youtu.be/gHz4XTSsaSQ

3 Likes

This is normal behaviour.

4 Likes

Yeah sounds normal to me.

3 Likes

yep. you can actually hear this hiss on many recordings, especially fuzzed out songs from the 60s and 70s.

3 Likes

The hissing with maxed out level and blend seems normal to me. My Alpha-Omicron has some serious hiss going on as well under those settings.

Most often, you wont need to max out level as it increases the volume (especially if you set the blend to 100% distorted signal). Reducing the level should minimize the hiss. I usually set the level to have +/- unity gain and not have a volume increase when switching on distortion.

4 Likes

similarly, dirt pedals tend to amplify any noise, so other pedals behind it can be noisier too.

5 Likes

Thanks all.
I had no clue, now I’m clued.

5 Likes

Fuzz pedals are really noisy… my Fur Coat is not only hissing, it’s spitting all over the place and if I place it in front of the tuner, it can act as a radio receiver when I switch on the tuner :joy:

2 Likes

I’ve only had the Gamechanger Plasma for dirty things until now and since it works differently it’s either making sparks/noise or not.

That said if you crank it up the slightest touch anywhere near the bass and it spits out staticy goodness

4 Likes