Pam and John's "How To Record Yourself" Parts 1 & 2 (Audio & Video)

A LOT of sax players online do this. They record the audio part and go back and make a video so that any mistakes are just missed. I’ve never understood this. Syncing Sax is a bit tricker as you can’t do it “by waveform automatically” but lip syncing an instrument to show folks your skills is just odd to me.

6 Likes

Every band that has ever made a music video has done this :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’d be very interested in that. Do you have link @Lanny?

5 Likes

All,

I have updated the first post in this thread with @Lanny’s excellent tutorial on using Garageband on a Mac (for those so inclined). We didn’t really cover this area in our zoom, however, all the concepts apply and give hardware options different from Lanny’s, so good to still watch the zoom and also have a look at this tutorial.

7 Likes

Does anyone have any thoughts on Steinberg Cubase AI as a DAW?

What is Cubase AI | Steinberg

Apparently there’s a download code bundled with my practice amp so I’ll be giving it a try alongside Reaper.

3 Likes

Cubase is a classic and Steinberg invented the VST plugin format. Cubase will be fine.

Haven’t looked at it in many years, blast from the past :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks @John_E …… Since I have never gotten around to finishing the tutorial on recording audio and video simultaneously and the. Using iMovie to create the cover, I’m referring to @TNKA36 - Brian to explain this process (if he can - he’s an EXPERT)….:grinning::grinning:

I’m so swamped right now since our bands leas singer decided that he wants several songs in our song set changed to different keys to better match his voice…. DAMN “DIVA” LEAD SINGERS!!

3 Likes

No worries. We will cover the video/syncing in Part II for both PC and Mac

5 Likes

solid info, nicely done. looking forward to part two. might still get that zoom camera after all…

:thinking:

6 Likes

Don’t you love it when that happens?
Did he let you know the day of or the day before performing :rofl:

3 Likes

Our lead singer is pretty considerate @Celticstar and let both the lead guitarist and myself know the day after we were given the song set…. Of course it took him a couple days to let us know “What” keys he was going to sing the songs in….

This is what makes playing bass so much fun…. As ling as you have muscle memory on any bass riff, it’s just a matter of adjusting “where” on the neck to start from.

Our lead singer also plays rhythm and acoustic guitar. He always has his guitars tuned 1/2 down to flat and the just “capo’s” the first fret to play standard tuning when our other lead singer (our drummer) has songs that he’s singing…. Me, I jist swap out to my down-tuned bass and play normal on the fretboard….

2 Likes

This is one of the reasons I took up the Bass at the beginning of 2021. After 50 years of lead and rhythm guitar I wondered if it would be less stressful playing Bass.

So far that’s exactly whats happening for me although with Covid our jam sessions have not even started up yet never mind paid gigs. But I am not doing this for the paid gigs so in the end it’s all good.
Less stress-more fun. :+1:

2 Likes

:+1::+1::+1: @Celticstar!! I’ve found that my many years of playing rhythm (and a little lead) guitar has helped tremendously in my bass playing, and not just that,…. Playing bass is SO much mir fun and rewarding than playing guitar….

No longer playing “second fiddle” to the lead guitarist……. Now I’m playing “first lead” to the drummer and rhythm section!! Way COOL!!

4 Likes

Agree with you all the way and also less arguments although misstep and the drummer can get a bit cranky.
I never realized before how important the Bass was to the overall sound.

3 Likes

Most people don’t realize that, it’s the nature of the instrument.
It’s like salt, it never gets the credit on a dish, nobody ask for a dish or goes to restaurant because there’s good salt there, but you take the salt out and it’s not good, you put too much of it and it’s ruined….

4 Likes

What a great video @John_E & @PamPurrs you guys created. I finally had a chance to watch the entire video without interruption and I wish I hadn’t had to travel that day as I would have loved to participate.
Great job guys!!!

4 Likes

Thank you so much for this instructional video. I just ordered a Scarlet Solo.

5 Likes

Great video. I’m just a little confused on what I may need in my setup and hopefully someone can help. Currently I only have the Fender Rumble 15G amp and it doesn’t include an output other than a headphone jack. So if I use a Scarlet audio interface how will that fit into my setup? I’m assuming I plug my bass into the Scarlet AI, but I don’t see an output that would then go to my amp.

With that said, how do I hear myself while recording?

2 Likes

In my set up I have my bass plugged into my DAI (in your case a Scarlett). My DAI goes into my laptop (where I watch Josh/Ari/play along to songs etc). My headphones are plugged into my DAI, but I believe you can set it up so the headphones go into your computer. Let me know if any questions. For me it sounded harder than it is, once you get it set up you’ll love it. @jtaylor801

2 Likes

You do plug your bass into the DAI (Scarlet). You plug the DAI into your computer, and run a DAW (like reaper or cakewalk or garage band or something) on the computer. You can use headphones from the computer, or possibly from the DAI like @Bassdacious said… You don’t need your amp in the mix for recording.

I believe, if you want your amp in the mix, then you need one with an output that would then lead to your computer with the DAW.

2 Likes